Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Condensation

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Condensation

Postby AshDLS » Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:52 pm

Alright, been meaning to ask this for a while now.

I have a bottle of Hibiki 17. Like the rest of my bottles, it's kept in a dark cupboard away from heat and light. Yet quite often I find condensation forming on the upper part of the bottle (if you've seen the decanter shape of the Hibiki bottles you'll know what I mean... where the neck broadens out into the width of the bottle). Have no bloody idea how or why this is occurring! The stopper still seems quite tight... not really sure what's causing it. Anything to be worried about?

Edit: You know, I could make this problem go away if I drink it a little more vigorously... that'll well and truly solve it. :insane:
AshDLS

Re: Condensation

Postby Swedish Chef » Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:32 am

You gentlemen 'ave me a bit worried 'ere (My unopened bottles have the metal sleeve covering part of the neck). Are we talking about opened or closed bottles?
Swedish Chef
Double Gold Member

Postby AshDLS » Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:13 am

Interesting suggestion, C_I! I'll have to keep an eye out to see whether the condensation is always on the same side of the bottle (I have a feeling it may be...)

It's an open bottle, BTW.
AshDLS

Postby matteo » Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:58 am

I've noticed that condensation like you described appears during festivals and fairs to the bottles that are under halogen lamps or spot light, especially those bottle having dark glasses like green and amber.

AshDLS, has your cabinet internal lighting?
matteo

Postby AshDLS » Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:37 am

Nope, no lighting inside whatsoever! And being a Hibiki, it's a clear glass bottle.

Just took another peek - the condensation is always occurring on the side of the bottle closest to the door. Only this bottle though, no others. :P
AshDLS

Postby matteo » Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:24 am

Eheh could you post some pics about the cabinet, opened and closed, to see the position of the bottle and near environment , lighting and so on. Please post info about the strength of the whisky in the bottle under investigation and its neighbours.
matteo

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder