Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Which bottle should you rebuy and why?

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Which bottle should you rebuy and why?

Postby matteo » Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:02 am

Reading the forum I was wondering that the useful/frequent topics are those like
"what should I buy next?"
"what do you suggest me next?"

So, why don't recommend your preferred bottle? The one that never miss in your cabinet, the best buy, your favourite...finally the bottle that you rebuy next you finish it :P

Please indicate why you should rebuy it, i.e. because it's the best quality/price or everyday drinking or ...
matteo

Re: Which bottle should you rebuy and why?

Postby The Third Dram » Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:57 pm

matteo wrote:The one that you never miss (to have) in your cabinet: Ardbeg 10YO... My favourite standard issue Islay by some distance.

The best buy: Glenlivet Nàdurra 16YO CS... Phenomenal quality and taste for the price.

Your favourite: Highland Park 25YO (50.7% edition)... This one would be the 53.5% edition were it still available. But I'll gladly settle for any remaining bottles of this elixir on the shelves. Has it all, including the right strength, balance, complexity, texture and taste.

The bottle that you rebuy, next you finish: Lately, Ardbeg Uigeadail... It just seems to 'disappear' rather quickly.
The Third Dram
Triple Gold Member

Postby dramtastic » Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:16 am

Can't say I have an absolute favorite, but the one I'm obsessed with currently and wish I had the world supply of is, Golden Horse The Single Malt Chichibu 12 56%. Funny name, brilliant whisky. I've just bought another 2 bottles to put away.
To clarify, this malt is from the guys that produced Hanyu Whisky.

I tend not to buy the same whisky again straight after finishing, but the one I'm most tempted to do this with is Tali 10 for quality and value here in Australia.

As for a rebuy that I haven't had for a while, definitely Nadurra. From start to finish there is nothing I don't like about this whisky.
dramtastic
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Ganga » Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:56 pm

matteo wrote:Please indicate why you should rebuy it, i.e. because it's the best quality/price or everyday drinking or ...

Whisky is a personal choice. What I like may bear no resemblance to what the next person likes. Others will choose to answer the questions you posed in the previous paragraph. I choose to answer the last thought.

Why someone should repurchase/restock a whisky? Ultimately, it is something that the person derives pleasure or enjoyment. That is, stimulating the senses and the mind - I find that my mind is very active in thinking about the whisky I am drinking. If you are purchasing your whisky strictly because it is cheap, I would suggest that you might as well buy the least expensive vodka as the flavors and aromas aren't of particular importance.

This can be your everyday dram - the one you turn to often - or it can be that more upscale whisky that you turn to at special occasions. For me, I turn to a variety of whiskies that are good quality at the price point. Examples, include HP 12, Macallan 12, Laphroaig 10. I also will repurchase single cask whiskies that are like this including more expensive whiskies.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby bredman » Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:50 am

Everytime you re-buy you are denying yourself a new whisky, often a great one.
bredman
Double Gold Member

Postby Maccy » Sat Dec 18, 2010 3:32 pm

bredman wrote:Everytime you re-buy you are denying yourself a new whisky, often a great one.

I disagree. A fairly typical human instinct is to pick a favourite and support it. That is what you are doing when you re-buy.

Just bought a bottle of Cragganmore 12. Couldn't contemplate being without it for too long!
Maccy
Silver Member

Postby The Third Dram » Sat Dec 18, 2010 3:36 pm

bredman wrote:Everytime you re-buy you are denying yourself a new whisky, often a great one.

Sometimes, it takes more than one bottle's worth (or two, or...) to get to the bottom of a whisky.
:wink:
The Third Dram
Triple Gold Member

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder