Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Positive Changes in Quality

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Positive Changes in Quality

Postby Ganga » Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:11 am

Has anyone experienced a distillery that has generally been of lesser quality improving its profile? In my opinion, the Tomatin lineup prior to 2009 was really not something I thought was worth having around even as a daily drinker. The more recent bottlings (white/black/red labels) are much improved in quality. I now try to keep at least one of the bottlings around.

As a second thought, anyone notice a return in the quality or profile for whiskies that had dropped off in the past? I will note that the Macallan 18 is getting closer to the profile of the whiskies from the late 70s vintages. I would say the late 80s vintages reminded me more of fino sherry than oloros.
Ganga
Matured cask

Re: Positive Changes in Quality

Postby MacDeffe » Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:22 am

Hi Rich

I actually wrote a blog post about this exact subject

http://danishwhiskyblog.blogspot.com/20 ... hough.html

And indeed, I totally agree on the Tomatins, what a great set of drams they are now

Other distilleries you might avoid, but you shouldn't, is the new Ledaig/Tobermory/Deanston bottled at 46.3%

Steffen
MacDeffe
Bronze Member

Postby The Third Dram » Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:26 am

Ganga wrote:Has anyone experienced a distillery that has generally been of lesser quality improving its profile?

Bowmore. Not necessarily a case of outright "lesser quality" in the past, but certainly one of abject inconsistency throughout much of the product range in years gone by.

Of late, I've been mightily impressed by both the 15YO Darkest and 18YO, each one in different ways. The limited edition cask strength 16YO releases have also been something of a revelation - especially the sensational 1991 Port Matured.

And then there's Glenlivet. From the distillery's recent 12YO through the 15YO French Oak Reserve to the truly exceptional 16YO Cask Strength Nàdurra (I've yet to pop the cork on the 21YO Archive, yet hear good things regarding this expression as well), there's much here that's worth taking note of.
The Third Dram
Triple Gold Member

Postby corbuso » Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:09 pm

I am in line with Steffen Article:
Ledaig/tobermory and Bowmore have made major improvements over the last few years. With Isle of Jura, I haven't really noticed major improvement (except with the peated Jura or the Jura bottled by IBs).
With Tomatin, like for Glencadam, they only recently decided to expand their range of single malts and some positive suprises have appeared.
On the downside, I am slightly disappointed by the regular Dalmore. They made efforts recently, so this might pay off soon.
corbuso
Gold Member

Postby MoreDalmore » Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:04 pm

"Of late, I've been mightily impressed by both the 15YO Darkest and 18YO, each one in different ways. The limited edition cask strength 16YO releases have also been something of a revelation - especially the sensational 1991 Port Matured."

I am also very impressed by both these Bowmores ( although I can't compare them to the older ones as I never had the Darkest without age statement ) But I do like the 18 better than the 17 ( I love the toffee sweetness in the 18 ) :D .

And the 1991 Port Matured is at the moment my all time favourite; maybe not taste wise but for the whole experience.... :thumbsup:

About 2 months ago I came across 2 of these and I bought them both; 1 still unopened and the other one about 1/3 left ( for christmas ) 8)
MoreDalmore
Bronze Member

Postby Willie JJ » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:50 pm

corbuso wrote:With Isle of Jura, I haven't really noticed major improvement (except with the peated Jura or the Jura bottled by IBs).

A few years ago they started a policy of only using 1st fill casks so I think the change is coming to Jura too.
Willie JJ
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby The Third Dram » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:59 pm

What about Bunnahabhain?

I've been 'stuck in a rut' as concerns being limited to the older 40%ABV 12YO bottling (a whisky that, while pleasant, doesn't exactly whip up the Islay waves) available locally, and am anxiously awaiting the chance to try the 18YO as well as the newer, higher-proof 12YO editions.
The Third Dram
Triple Gold Member

Postby Willie JJ » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:16 pm

The Third Dram wrote:What about Bunnahabhain?

I've been 'stuck in a rut' as concerns being limited to the older 40%ABV 12YO bottling (a whisky that, while pleasant, doesn't exactly whip up the Islay waves) available locally, and am anxiously awaiting the chance to try the 18YO as well as the newer, higher-proof 12YO editions.

The 18yo is very nice and the new 12yo is a big improvement I think.

C_I wrote:I think Benromach has also improved in quality, but it is perhaps unfair to compare with the old version, as it is basically a different distillery.

It may be unfair, but what's in the bottle is better I do agree.
Willie JJ
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Novice Scotch Fan » Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:39 pm

I think GlenDronach line-up has really turned the corner for the better after a very dodgy history.
Novice Scotch Fan
Gold Member

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder