Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Canadian Whiskeys that taste good

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Canadian Whiskeys that taste good

Postby AdamMY » Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:13 am

I would honestly like to eat my words but having tried a variety of Canadian Whiskey's (most at the mid to low end of Seagrams and Canadian club), I have started to form the opinion that most if not nearly all Canadian whiskey's are geared more towards mixing than drinking straight.

So I would like to be corrected, so I am looking for suggestions of Canadian Whiskey's that taste great stand alone.

One I have not tried, and not sure I will as the last time I checked pricing on Glen Breton, it was prohibitive in the sense that the price was so much so that I could get a good very well regarded Scotch, and is money I would rather not spend on a bit of a gamble.
AdamMY
Cask Strength Gold Member

Re: Canadian Whiskeys that taste good

Postby pkt77242 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:16 am

40 Creek Barrel Select isn't bad
Standard Crown Royal is Ok
Crown Royal Reserve is pretty damn good (a little simple but nice flavors)
and while i haven't had it personally plenty of people really like Crown Royal Cask 16.
pkt77242
Matured cask

Postby lockejn » Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:26 pm

I've never found a Canadian whiskey that suited me, either - though my choices are also pretty limited to the low-mid range stuff. The new Crown Royal Black Label is pretty decent and worth giving a try. In these parts there are a lot of 50ml bottles floating around which is a nice, inexpensive way to sample.
lockejn
Triple Gold Member

Postby The Third Dram » Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:49 pm

Forty Creek John K. Hall Barrel Reserve is a most interesting whisky, filled with delicious flavours (even if I still feel there's a very subtle sense of 'fabrication' about the flavour profile)... Very unique taste! The Confederation Oak is supposed to be quite superb, though I haven't had the opportunity to try it yet.

My top 2 recommendations, though, would be:

Crown Royal Cask No. 16... Just an incredibly stylish Canadian that oozes class. The Cognac cask finishing lends a nice touch of crispness and liveliness. As I've stated previously, "A cracker."

Wiser's Legacy Pot Still Rye... This one garnered the Canadian Market segment prize in the 2010 Canadian Whisky Awards, and is a real star as far as I'm concerned. Rich, round and with just the right dose of rye bittersweetness and oakiness to keep the palate presentation exciting.

Close on the heels of these two are the 18-year olds from Gibson and Wiser's - each very satisfying in its own way.
The Third Dram
Triple Gold Member

Postby andygaspo » Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:14 pm

A bit late to the table but for anyone stumbling on this thread now (as I just did), then Gibson's Finest Rare 18 yo is a tasty Canadian
andygaspo

Postby MGillespie » Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:43 pm

I'd suggest you check www.canadianwhisky.org. It's published by Davin de Kergommeaux of the Malt Maniacs, and he'll certainly be able to steer you in the right direction.

One I'd suggest you look for is Canadian Club Sherry Cask. It takes CC in a different direction, and is very drinkable on its own. You might also try to track down Gibson's 18 if you can...

Mark
MGillespie
Double Gold Member

Postby seanmcgowan » Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:04 am

I have recently become acquainted with Century Reserve 15/25 and I must say it is one of the most interesting Canadians I have ever tried. Soft buttery, vanilla, caramel and very old. Very pleasing afterglow.
It comes in a very attractive wide bottom flute bottle and is priced modestly at $29CAN /750ml
The bottle says Rye Whisky, however most write ups and discussions agree that this offering is a high percentage of corn and barley malt. If suspicions are correct this was acquired by Highwood distillery when they bought out Potters and the casks may be very old and one of a kind so pick it up while it lasts.
seanmcgowan

Postby newwhiskyworld » Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:35 am

Standard Canadian Club is one of my guilty pleasures. Maybe its one I should be keeping to myself!

Jonny

www.newwhiskyworld.blogspot.com
newwhiskyworld

Postby Malhavoc » Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:53 pm

I found the Gibson's 12 to be good, especially considering the price.
Malhavoc

Postby MGillespie » Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:42 pm

By the way, I'll have an in-depth interview on Canadian whiskies with Davin de Kergommeaux of CanadianWhisky.org on this weekend's episode of WhiskyCast, along with some of his recommendations.

Mark
MGillespie
Double Gold Member

Postby MacDeffe » Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:00 am

Whistlepig Rye is the best Canadian whisk(e)y I have tasted

Steffen
MacDeffe
Bronze Member

Postby trollope » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:16 pm

To follow up on your comment about Glen Breton, I am sure that it is when worth you giving it a try. I am not saying that it will beat a scotch of the same price but you may be surprised. Possibly the best way to try this is to visit the distillery. A fun holiday trip to Cape Breton and whiskey, were could you go wrong?
trollope

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder