Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Where to Next - Newbie Advice

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Where to Next - Newbie Advice

Postby andygaspo » Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:25 pm

Hi Folks,
New around here and pretty new to the wonders of whisky. Started with JW Black which perked my interest in the liquid. Have some Glenfiddich 12 that is decent, received it as a gift. Also tried some Balvenie 15 single cask (at a lounge, ordered by a colleague).

Of the very limit types I've sampled I definitely know I would like to try other. I know there is a wide variety of tastes etc out there but just looking for some advice on where to go next to really get an idea of the full spectrum so I can start to really narrow down my tastes.

A friend of mine recommends Talisker 10, but I read on one form here that it was part of the blend in JW Black.

Any other suggestions? I am in ONT Canada so after taxes etc we are paying very high prices for our booze, so keeping with those that are reasonably priced would be appreciated.

Cheers,
andygaspo

Re: Where to Next - Newbie Advice

Postby The Third Dram » Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:17 am

You then might wish to check out some of the Diageo single malt releases the LCBO carries in the 20cl format. Log onto the site under Product Search, enter 'Spirits' and then 'Scotch whisky', and scroll down the listings to see what's currently available in that size format. I seem to recall recently seeing a few different such malts, with the prices being in the $20s and $30s.
The Third Dram
Triple Gold Member

Postby andygaspo » Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:43 pm

Good tip, thanks
andygaspo

Postby txtran » Thu Dec 23, 2010 7:21 pm

I would recommend Highland Park 12. I recently tried it and its really good. It's also a great beginners whisky and it supposedly has a little bit of everything in it.I have no idea what the price is in Canada but I bought mine in the US for about $45.
txtran

Postby timotheon » Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:47 pm

at Bevmo you can get a HP 12 for $39.99 (club bev price) which also includes a 50 mL bottle of HP 18...not a bad deal imo
timotheon

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder