Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Collectible Whisky Question

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Collectible Whisky Question

Postby jjnn » Fri Dec 24, 2010 5:30 am

I'm looking for some collectible whiskies. I'm aiming for closed distilleries since price will go up as quantity is reduced. I read around some post and found Tamdhu has closed so I will definitely get that (price-wise its great $20-$30). Then I came across the rumors of Springbank closing so I might consider that. I did research and found Rosebank and Littlemill but idk if they have them available in my area.

So can you guys recommend any whiskies that currently still widely available that are worth collecting? I'm possibly looking to spend $50-$70 max each bottle. I'm hoping that maybe one day 20 or 30 years from now it will be worth something.

Oh and it can be any type of whisky as long as its collectible and reasonably priced.
jjnn

Re: Collectible Whisky Question

Postby Ganga » Fri Dec 24, 2010 7:26 am

It is my understanding that Tamdhu has been mothballed. Springbank temporarily stopped production when fuel prices went nuts. In addition they had an explosion. Springbank is highly collectible but I don't think you will be looking at this as a closed distillery.

Problem with most of the closed (permanently) distilleries is that they've been out of production long enough that the respected ones have already started going way up in price (Port Ellen, Brora, St Magdalene).

Littlemill and Rosebank are still somewhat reasonable but Littlemill doesn't have quite the reputation of being a high quality malt. The 17 from Littlemill is supposed to be good and runs in the neighborhood of your price limit.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby corbuso » Fri Dec 24, 2010 8:28 pm

jjnn wrote: I'm possibly looking to spend $50-$70 max each bottle. I'm hoping that maybe one day 20 or 30 years from now it will be worth something.

With that money, you won't go far. Only advise: just buy what you like, so regardless of what might happen, you can still drink it.
corbuso
Gold Member

Postby The Third Dram » Sat Dec 25, 2010 6:13 pm

Collector57 wrote:My advice is - unless you really know what you are doing, never buy whisky as an investment.

So true!

I sometimes jokingly refer to my rather modest collection as my 'liquid assets'. But rest assured I'm going to do my best to make sure I sample everything that's in the cabinet! The thought of investing gives a bad taste in my mouth.

Besides, it's my firm belief that the current fashion for 'investing' in certain Scotches (or wines, for that matter) took hold during the 'consumer Renaissance' of the 1980s and 1990s. Prior to that, one almost never heard of wines and spirits as investments, save for the odd auction of an old estate's cellar or some other such phenomenon.

Truth be told, that era represented perhaps the best opportunity for looking at whisky as an investment, as it coincided with ready availability of many bottles from distilleries that subsequently closed (some in rather short order) as well as 'true' limited edition releases - not in the way that this term is so blatantly abused these days.

Then again, we could be saying the same thing about this present decade many years down the road.
:wink:
The Third Dram
Triple Gold Member

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder