Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Glenrothes

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Glenrothes

Postby andygaspo » Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:31 pm

What are people's takes on Glenrothes? I was at a scotch specialty shop the other day and was listening in on one of the employees speaking to an avid customer (guessing he was avid by the collection of bottles in his cart). The customer had two bottles of Glenrothes in his card including one that was some sort of limited release that was well, well over my price limit.

Anyway, this employee seemed to swear by this brand however I have yet to really see any chatter about it on these boards.

For the most part it is priced in the middle of the pack where I am, but just wondering if it worth grabbing some, or if it should sit further down the list versus others?
andygaspo

Re: Glenrothes

Postby johan brugge » Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:53 pm

It depends. I had a Select Reserve a few years ago which I didn't really like. But it seems that there are different batches of the Select Reserve so the taste can be a bit different. From what I hear on different forums is that this edition is not very popular, but the vintages can be quite good (1991, 1994). I haven't tried one of these however.
johan brugge
Double Gold Member

Postby The Third Dram » Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:06 am

andygaspo wrote:For the most part it is priced in the middle of the pack where I am...

...which is fairly reasonable as far as the variability of pricing of Glen Rothes in different markets goes. (It tends slightly toward a higher price bracket in my neck of the woods, for instance.)

The vintage editions can be quite tasty, showing honeyed pear fruit and limes with an underlying yet pervasive malt grassiness and even a faint touch of smokiness - just what one looks for in a classic Highland malt, in fact. For me, there certainly appears to be a modicum of high quality Sherry casked whiskies employed in the melange.

I've marginally preferred the younger vintage releases (i.e. bottled at around 12 or so years of age) over the more venerable ones, which, to my taste buds, seem to lose that exuberant fruitiness at the expense of wood-influenced dryness.
The Third Dram
Triple Gold Member

Postby pkt77242 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:08 am

johan brugge wrote:It depends. I had a Select Reserve a few years ago which I didn't really like. But it seems that there are different batches of the Select Reserve so the taste can be a bit different. From what I hear on different forums is that this edition is not very popular,

To me the Select Reserve is one of the 2 least enjoyable (read crappy) whiskies I have had.

The Third Dram wrote:[The vintage editions can be quite tasty, showing honeyed pear fruit and limes with an underlying yet pervasive malt grassiness and even a faint touch of smokiness - just what one looks for in a classic Highland malt, in fact. For me, there certainly appears to be a modicum of high quality Sherry casked whiskies employed in the melange.

I've marginally preferred the younger vintage releases (i.e. bottled at around 12 or so years of age) over the more venerable ones, which, to my taste buds, seem to lose that exuberant fruitiness at the expense of wood-influenced dryness.

I have had the 1991, 1994, the 1985, 1987 and one of the 1970's vintages (I want to say 74 or 76). I have the complete opposite feeling (and neither of us is right or wrong), as I much prefer their older stuff (though not on price to value). The one from the 70's was great and the two 1980's were pretty good. The 1991 and 1994 were ok but nothing special to me.

Sean
pkt77242
Matured cask

Postby Wave » Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:28 am

I love their vintages, mainly 70's and 80's. I've had the '74 29yo, '79 31yo, '84 and '85 20yo's. The 90's I've tried the '91 (Spicy) and '94 (smoother and honeyed). Glenrothes is one of the few distilleries of where I'd rather have them as OB's as opposed to my fav IB's.

Cheers!
Wave
Double Gold Member

Postby lockejn » Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:06 pm

I would echo Sean's feelings on the Select Reserve. Perhaps the worst SMS I've had. :yuk:

Several folks have suggested trying a vintage release - frankly I've been so put off I don't expect that to ever happen at my expense.
lockejn
Triple Gold Member

Postby andygaspo » Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:20 pm

Wow thanks for all the responses, very insightful.

These said I think at my early stage of exploring SMS, my money is likely better spend elsewhere... good to know.

Cheers,
andygaspo

Postby Ganga » Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:03 pm

I drift towards the older expressions as I like the more woody characteristics. I've had a few exceptional IBs but really find more consisitency in quality from the OBs. I wasn't a fan of the 1991 I had but did like the 1987.

There was a sample pack (100 mls each) a few years ago that would allow you to try a few different things. I would recommend getting one of these if available. I wouldn't use the Select Reserve to judge the distillery. Reactions vary from awful up to boredom as far as I've been able to tell. While my reaction wasn't as negatively strong as others, I would say it was on the negative side.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby Fscott » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:19 pm

Does anybody have tasting notes on the 1998? There is a bottle at my local wine shop that has been tempting me for some time. I am not a huge fan of the Select Reserve, but I would like to give them another try.
Fscott

Postby jazz lover » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:48 pm

The 70's Rothes are very good.
The 85 (20yr.?) is very tasty also.
jazz lover
Double Gold Member

Postby Whiskybembel » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:12 pm

About the Select Reserve:
We are now at the third generation of Select Reserve and it was a big improvement since the first Release. How can you see the diffrences between the SRs?
The first one was released with 40% and old label, than it got 43% with old label and now the third is with 43% and new Label. The fruit flavor is more present in the actual release. In the past releases it was more citrus related.
@Fscott: Serge from the Maniacs wrote about the new 1998 Vintage:Glenrothes 1998/2009 (43%, OB, Asia) Colour: gold. Nose: classic Glenrothes! No excessive youth but a very pleasant liveliness, starting on typical 'yellow' flowers (dandelions and buttercups), light honey (acacia for instance) and some almondy/nutty notes that we don't find in older versions. Goes on with notes of Sauternes wine (quite some ripe apricot) and a lot of butterscotch, vanillas and cappuccino and finally just a little wood smoke and an extra 'youth' kick between fresh big oranges and ripe strawberries. It actually noses more like a 15yo than like a 10/11yo Glenrothes and in that sense reminds me of a 1985/1997 that I enjoyed mucho at the time. Mouth: starts a bit shy and narrow but that doesn't last for long. Quite some honey and marmalade, other 'orangey stuff', ripe apples, toasted bread, lemon marmalade then cinnamon and nutmeg from the wood. Candy sugar. Rather medium-bodied and rather easy-sipping. Finish: not very long but clean, mainly on honey and a little vanilla fudge. Comments: the nose was much to my liking, the palate as well but just a little more oomph would have been welcome. Maybe a perfect whisky to quaff with food? SGP:421 - 84 points. (26 June 2009)
For further questions regarding Glenrothes don't hestitate to ask me, or if you are familar with your german language visit me on http://www.glenrothes-info.de
Some Tasting Notes on my page are in English, too.
Whiskybembel

Postby Fscott » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:22 pm

Thanks, Whiskybembel.
Fscott

Postby Whiskybembel » Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:19 pm

Sorry, I forgot the Label Notes:
Character: Lemon citrus, rich vanilla cinnamon hints
Checked: John Ramsay 17/12/98
Approved: Gordon Motion 11.2.09
Bottled: 2009

My opinion about the 1998:
It is a great fruity Single Malt with the typical vanilla notes. I am having more yellow fruits (mirabelle, peach) not so much citrus as on the label and never found cinnamon. Honey is also present and the flavour of toast bread.
I like it soo much :thumbsup: Well done Gordon Motion!
Whiskybembel

Postby Whiskybembel » Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:38 pm

Collector57:
The biggest misunderstood in reading the label! On my page under Label I am having a german explanation about it. http://www.glenrothes-info.de/label.html
Means in english regarding the 1984 Vintage:
Approved: R.H.Fenwick 8.9.95
Approved: R.H.Fenwick 2.12.94
Approved: R.H.Fenwick 16.3.02

The approved day are not bottled dates! These are the dates when the Master Destiller approved that this Vintage is ready to release. The bottled year is under the Vintage Year in the quarter.
In your case the 1984 were bottled in the year 1995,1996,1997,2002,2003,2004 and 2005. After 2005 their were no more cask from 19884 available to create this unique Vintage.
Hope this was helpful?
best regards
Stefan
Whiskybembel

Postby Whiskybembel » Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:24 am

You are welcome. The reason is easy. I've been working since 15 years in an american company. Not 100% perfect my english, but my second language. In my opinion the "british english" have sometimes to many words :D "american english" is easier :thumbsup:
Regarding Glenrothes: If you have any kind of question do not hestitate to ask.
Whiskybembel

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder