Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

What to buy while in UK?

All your whisky related questions answered here.

What to buy while in UK?

Postby pickleydoo » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:51 pm

Sometime in late February / early March I'll be visiting some friends who are studying in London. I'm from the US and want to pick up a bottle or two while in the UK that I normally wouldn't be able to purchase back home. Alternatively I would buy something that is particularly expensive in the US that isn't in the UK. I think I should probably limit my purchases to something like £200.

As a point of reference, on my shelf I have Lagavulin 16 and 12 CS, Ardbeg 10, Laphroaig QC and 18, Highland Park 12, JW Green, Hibiki 12, and several bourbons (although I would imagine those are more expensive in the UK) and love all of them.

I was thinking the Suntory Hashuku for a friend of mine who loves the Yamazaki because I don't think Hashuku is available in the US, and maybe the HP Saint Magnus? How about one of the Port Charlottes? Does anyone know any releases that are unique to the UK?

Thanks folks,

Chris
pickleydoo

Re: What to buy while in UK?

Postby The Third Dram » Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:22 pm

No specific recommendations here, alas, except that you might wish to check out the Duty Free at Heathrow.

I'd keep an eye open for an exclusive, older Islay or island whisky - preferably cask strength.
The Third Dram
Triple Gold Member

Postby bredman » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:13 am

Check out the website for The Whisky Exchange. They are in London. Also Royal Mile Whiskies. Take your pick.

Hakushu 12 is fantastic ( a current favourite of mine is the Hakushu Heavily Peated). All the Port Charlottes are consistently good/excellent.

You could look at acquiring a bottle of The English Whisky Co. St Georges Chapter 6 or Chapter 9. The #6 is unpeated and the #9 is peated. Both are a delight.
bredman
Double Gold Member

Postby dramtastic » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:25 am

Do you have a budget for the Japanese bottle? If you do I can recommend something as I've had a couple.
dramtastic
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Willie JJ » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:44 pm

There is also a Cadenhead shop in London and you could do a lot worse than pick up a bottle of their 8yo CS Port Cask Hazelburn. It's really good.
Willie JJ
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Wave » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:06 pm

Willie JJ wrote:There is also a Cadenhead shop in London and you could do a lot worse than pick up a bottle of their 8yo CS Port Cask Hazelburn. It's really good.

I'd also recommend the Cadenhead's shop, they haven't been available on this side of the pond since the turn of the century. Whenever I'm in the U.K. (usually Scotland) I make it a point to visit Cadenhead's for at least a couple bottles. :iwbrnt:

Cheers!
Wave
Double Gold Member

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder