Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Lagavulin 16 to end tasting

All your whisky related questions answered here.
Related whiskies : Lagavulin 16 Years Old

Lagavulin 16 to end tasting

Postby Fscott » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:17 pm

I have two questions really.

I bought a bottle of Lagavulin 16 for a tasting I am planning. I have two friends who are at the Ballantines 12, Jameson 12 stage and would like them to try some single malts. (The blind leading the blind...) Anyway, I had a wee dram of the Laga last night and, as others on this forum have noted, noticed that it had changed. It was not the Lagavulin that blew me away five years ago. It seems to have lost some of its 'medicinal' taste and a little muscle. Is it different, or is it merely the power of suggestion?

Second, I would like to do a tasting that starts in the Highlands and works its way to Islay. I was thinking: Old Pulteney 12 or Aberfeldy 12 to start mellow - Glenfarclas 105 for a taste of cask strength - Auchentoshen 12 - Springbank 10 and then Lagavulin 16 to finish.
How many whiskies can you do before you fry your palate? Does this seem like a logical order? (It is limited by my cabinet and wallet right now)

Thanks
Fscott

Re: Lagavulin 16 to end tasting

Postby Ganga » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:50 pm

Since around 1996 (my first exposure) I think there has been a wide variety in the quality of Lagavulin 16. Some have been a bit like burnt sugar, some caramel and cream, some on the ashy side. My best experience was a 2007 bottling.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby The Third Dram » Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:32 am

Collector57 wrote:A shadow of its former self IMO.

I'd have to agree, both in terms of inconsistency of flavour profile (i.e. variations in the nature of the smokiness as well as in the cask influence - for better or for worse, alas) and in terms of what it is now compared with what it once was.

The very best bottles of Lagavulin 16 Year Old I ever experienced were marketed during the 1990s, drawn from aged spirits distilled during a relatively short period between the late 1970s and early 1980s. Some of those distillates had come from a brief moment in the distillery's operation when the peat-reek (phenol) levels employed during the malting process climbed to around the 50ppm mark. Think Ardbeg minus the purifier aspect of the pot stills!

Fscott wrote:...I would like to do a tasting that starts in the Highlands and works its way to Islay.

I really like this concept. And I agree that Springbank, as representing a sort of 'crossover' malt between the Highlands and the islands, will make for a fine choice. (Old Pulteney, also being a coastal whisky, somewhat echoes this tact, though minus any appreciable smokiness.)

Other such whiskies you may wish to consider in a similar vein would include Highland Park, Scapa, Clynelish, Oban, Isle of Jura, Ledaig/Tobermory, Talisker and (to touch on two of the more 'accessible' Islay whiskies) Bunnahabhain along with Bruichladdich.
The Third Dram
Triple Gold Member

Postby bredman » Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:58 am

I'd start with the Pulteney 12 and the 'toshan next, followed by the 105, Springer and then the Laga. It would have been nice to finish with an Uigeadail or a Corryvreckan - next time maybe. Let us know how it goes.
bredman
Double Gold Member

Postby Knolly » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:30 am

Good comments about Laga 16: I LOVE this distillery, but I think the best Lagavulin typically on the markets these days - and reasonably assessable - is the 12yo Cask Strength. The last few years in particular have been excellent whiskies.
Knolly
Silver Member

Postby Holysinner » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:07 am

I've only been through one bottle of Laga 16 (L9) so can't compare it to earlier batches, but I was underwhelmed relative to the descriptions of others here. I'd take any Laphroaig or Ardbeg expression without hesitation.

For your proposed lineup I'd suggest the following order:
Auchentoshan
Pulteney
Springbank
Lagavulin
Glenfarclas

The 'toshan is the lightest in terms of flavors, the Springer introduces peat that the Laga will follow well, and both the Laga and 'farclas display a sherry influence. As the 105 is the highest strength, to my thinking it should be last, and you have a good progression there. It doesn't follow your regional path, but I think the flavor progression works better anyway.
Holysinner
Silver Member

Related whiskies : Lagavulin 16 Years Old

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder