Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Please help Beginner with Indepedent Bottles

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Please help Beginner with Indepedent Bottles

Postby zl725 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:06 am

Hi all, I'm new on this forum

Forgive me if this request gets asked a lot. Recently, I have been very curious about a few independent bottles that are available to me and just wondered if any members here have any suggestions/opinions on the following:

DL OMC Benrinnes 12 Yo
DL OMC Tobermory 13 Yo
DL OMC Allt-a-Bhainne 11 yo
DL OMC Blair Athol 12 yo
G&M Mortlach 15 yo
G&M Inchgower 1993

Many thanks
zl725

Re: Please help Beginner with Indepedent Bottles

Postby dramtastic » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:59 am

Well it's hard to say without the batch numbers, but if they're are the same as the ones I have had recently, I've had 2 of those. The OMC Benrinnes 12 I was not fussed on at all. The OMC Blair Athol 12 I really like. I also had a G&M Mortlach that I didn't like, can't remember the age though.
dramtastic
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby dramtastic » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:04 pm

Had a OMC Mortlach bottling recently as well Nick, which may be the one your thinking of. Quite horrid! That's 0 for 2 as far as Mortlachs go for me, though it's either, these were not good examples of the Mortlach house style, or it was and it's just not for me.
Last edited by dramtastic on Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dramtastic

Postby The Third Dram » Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:48 pm

The old (and I'm talking VERY old 12YO 40%ABV issued during the 1980s) officially licensed Mortlach release was a well balanced whisky. I've also tasted a 9YO Signatory from a Sherry cask (evidently first fill if the colour was any indication... very dark hue) that was borderline fabulous. The 1972 Rare Malts Selection 22YO is, of course, a classic expression of the distillery style minus any overbearing Sherry influence - incredible taste of cocunut sweetness, especially without water, which is no small feat given the 65.3%ABV bottling strength.

Is it my imagination that Mortlach generally tends to suffer a little bit at the hands of the independents? Perhaps something to do with the greater cask selection capability Diageo has at hand?

That said, I DO usually like many of the OMC releases.
The Third Dram
Triple Gold Member

Postby Fscott » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:10 pm

I have a Mortlach 15yo Signatory from 1990. It is a wonderful whisky, with hints of licorice and smoke and a little mint at the end. I've never met a Mortlach that I didn't like. Others will have more experience with independent bottlers.
Fscott

Postby dramtastic » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:59 pm

It can get down to what's available Nick. I've bought the only 2 bottles of Mortlach that I've seen for sale here in Australia. Seems there are better.
dramtastic

Postby Ganga » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:40 am

I would suggest that the IBs are more hit and miss. The OBs that I've had have been very good whereas the IBs have ranges from marginal to exceptional. I've tried a couple of the Book of Kells 50 yos. One was very good but the second was sublime. The Scott's 61-00 was also really good. I have several bottles of a Signatory Mortlach that is really good although I wouldn't recommend it to Nick as he is very sensitive to sulpher notes.

Benrinnes has been all over the place for me too. Some are kind of bitter (usually I find this in the bourbon casks). Some of the sherry casks are really sulphery. Sig 79 sherry cask was a phenom.

Allt-a-Bhaine and Blair Athol have really been a pedestrian whisky for me. Nothing stands out as really good or really bad. Hard to find in the US so not many tried.

Inchgower just doesn't appeal to me. Not to say it is bad, just not my thing. For the most part, this is my feelings toward Tobermory/Ledaig.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby zl725 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:24 am

Thanks all your all the insightful opinions on IBs. I ended up taking a gamble purchase on the G&M CC Inchgower 1993 having read a decent enough review from Jim Murray...(little to no info on forums regarding this release)...will open it soon
zl725

Postby dramtastic » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:14 pm

Hi zl725, do you live n Australia because these bottlings sound like some of the standards from Dan Murpheys?
dramtastic

Postby zl725 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:51 am

Hi dramtastic,

Yep I'm from Sydney. I mostly shop at Dan Murphys, Vintage Cellars or 1st Choice.
zl725

Postby meataxe99 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:44 am

zl725 wrote:Hi dramtastic,

Yep I'm from Sydney. I mostly shop at Dan Murphys, Vintage Cellars or 1st Choice.

Hi zl725,

Have you had many of the OMC bottlings sold at DMs? If so, how have you found them?
meataxe99

Postby dramtastic » Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:11 am

zl725 wrote:Hi dramtastic,

OK then, i definitely have a bottle of the Blair Athol 12 open and I am quite impressed as mentioned before. A lovely clean fruityness with some sweet spice.
I also recommend the G&M Longmorn 12 from DMs. Really like this one and wouldn't hesitate grabbing another bottle.
I also had a number of Indie bottlings from VC, so if you see something your thinking of buying, let me know.
dramtastic

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder