Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Tamdhu

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Tamdhu

Postby Novice Scotch Fan » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:51 am

Anyone know the real reason this distillery has closed? An over supply, enough to bottle for years to come and be used in blends? Not economical to keep open? What do you think?
Novice Scotch Fan
Gold Member

Re: Tamdhu

Postby The Third Dram » Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:18 am

NSF, there's little doubt in my mind that financial considerations (i.e. consolidation of assets and rationalization of expenditures) lie at the very top of the Edrington Group's decision. That said, I do remember a time when the official distillery releases of Tamdhu's make occupied the more lucrative middle ground rather than the present-day lower-priced territory of Scotches marketplace-wise (as in the 15-year old issue available some decades ago). Despite that history, however, Tamdhu never truly managed to attract a wide audience. A shift toward placing greater emphasis on the 'gold-standard' operations at Glenrothes, Highland Park and Macallan, then?
The Third Dram
Triple Gold Member

Postby Muskrat Portage » Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:56 pm

http://news.scotsman.com/scotland/Dram- ... 5845683.jp
Looks like an economics decision. I get tired of bean counters making decisons in far away little offices which affect workers at the pointed end of the stick.

Maybe Edrington Group should reconsider the regional impact its' products have instead of the bottom line? The UK is reconsidering the amount of taxes that are charged on whisky. If it passes and they are lowered, maybe Edrington could ... in good faith, reverse this move?

Musky
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby John Barleycorn » Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:29 pm

Muskrat Portage wrote:The UK is reconsidering the amount of taxes that are charged on whisky. If it passes and they are lowered

Fat chance of that happening. :(

Cheers John
John Barleycorn
Bronze Member

Postby Novice Scotch Fan » Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:32 pm

I get the sneaking suspicion that Tamdhu made a profit, just not much of a profit, and more was to be had by shutting it down and concentrating on the other operations (Highland Park, Macallan, etc) which are more successful.
Novice Scotch Fan
Gold Member

Postby Muskrat Portage » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:23 pm

John Barleycorn wrote:
Muskrat Portage wrote:The UK is reconsidering the amount of taxes that are charged on whisky. If it passes and they are lowered

Fat chance of that happening. :(

Cheers John

:D
God! I delight in the lads from the ancestral demesnes!

Musky (Clan Brodie)
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby corbuso » Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:58 pm

Novice Scotch Fan wrote:I get the sneaking suspicion that Tamdhu made a profit, just not much of a profit, and more was to be had by shutting it down and concentrating on the other operations (Highland Park, Macallan, etc) which are more successful.

I do not know for the distillation part, but with the maltings, they made profit.
corbuso
Gold Member

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder