Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Cooperative 12 yo Highland single malt ID?

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Cooperative 12 yo Highland single malt ID?

Postby c.ortiz » Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:18 pm

Hello,

For UK readers - anyone tried this, or have an idea of it might "really" be? Dalmore maybe?

http://www.co-operative.coop/food/whats-hot/Food-news/Single-malt-Scotch-from-The-Co-operative/

It's £17.99 at my local co-op.
c.ortiz

Re: Cooperative 12 yo Highland single malt ID?

Postby The Third Dram » Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:42 pm

Or Fettercairn?
The Third Dram
Triple Gold Member

Postby c.ortiz » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:01 pm

After some more research, I'm thinking this must be the Dalmore 12. From their own website:

"Judicious selection and the precise balance of American white oak and Oloroso sherry wood, delivers our most vibrant expression - robust yet elegant, with an aftertaste of brilliant complexity." Flavour profile is "spice, citrus, vanilla".

Compare with Co-op's:

"made using locally grown barley, which is then matured in sherry cask barrels and American white oak... The result is a deep gold mahogany whisky, with warm notes of citrus and exotic spices and a long, lingering aftertaste."

The Fettercairn 12, on the other hand, has no mention of oak, sherry, or a similar flavour profile. Would be very happy to get a Dalmore 12 for the price, but possibly not the Fettercairn, as they don't have very good reviews!....
They aslo seem to gave stopped making it: http://www.whiskymag.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12400

So.... has anyone out there actually tried the Co-op one?
c.ortiz

Postby c.ortiz » Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:56 pm

I've now picked up a bottle of this stuff, and it's brilliant - especially for the price! I;ve only tried Dalmore once, but still thinking that's probably what this is.

Recommended - though may not be easy to find, as I've only seen it in one local Co-op.
c.ortiz

Postby evertonmint » Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:35 pm

LOL hell of a clue on the box...."almost as mystical as the BlackIsle itself"

Dalmore anyone??? :D
evertonmint

Postby keethee » Wed May 22, 2013 9:15 pm

Was tempted to buy this at £20.09 a bottle.
I'm not a massive fan of Dalmore 12yo, but it's a bit of a bargain at 20 quid, & i'm 99% certain that's what it is. Was researching what it could be in "Black Isle" area, & concluded it was moest likely Glen Ord, but this does not nose or taste like Glen Ord or any of nearby distilleries, tastes & smells exactly like Dalmore 12:- old sherry cask, thick, almost cloying "marmalade" sweetness, slightly nutty finish. Appears to me to be 1/2 price Dalmore 12, only difference from distillery bottling might be that it's very slightly lighter (Splittin hairs here). I live in Aberdeen, Dalmore 12yo normally £38-40, so this is a serious bargain. Slainte!
keethee

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder