Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Johnnie Gold

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Johnnie Gold

Postby Ganga » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:32 pm

Many moons ago (circa 1997), I tried the Johnnie Walker Gold label. I thought it was a good whisky with a bit smokey hit. When we did the Live Tasting for blends about a year and a half ago, I picked up some Gold and it was kind of middlin. Waxy with much less intensity for the smoke. Has anyone else noticed this?
Ganga
Matured cask

Re: Johnnie Gold

Postby MARS » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:00 pm

Yes, almost no smoke. A very honeyed blend. (tryed it last summer)
MARS

Postby Novice Scotch Fan » Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:03 pm

I last tried Gold about three years ago. My memory and tasting notes indicate it was the finish that I noticed was a bit off. And at that time I went through about three bottles in quick succession.
Novice Scotch Fan
Gold Member

Postby Lefty » Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:49 pm

Creamy vanilla, butter, honey and a slight whiff of smoke on the finish if I remember correctly, been a little while since tried it (my bottle must be 2009 I think).

I prefer both this and Green label to the rather extravagently priced Blue label....
Lefty

Postby lockejn » Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:52 pm

I bought a bottle probably two years ago and agree that the finish is what killed it for me. The nose is really incredible, but a bitter woodiness in the end was off-putting. Maybe far too much caramel? I don't recall it being particularly smoky - certainly not in the same league as the Green.
lockejn
Triple Gold Member

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder