Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Costco Whisky Sales

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Costco Whisky Sales

Postby Ganga » Mon May 09, 2011 12:04 am

I'm curious, where does Costco sell whisky. I know we can purchase whisky here in California. I believe that Costco sells whisky in Arizona and Texas as well.

It is my understanding that Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Illinois, Pennsylvania, NH, Vermont, Maine do not share this benefit.

What about other states? UK? Is Costco anywhere else?
Ganga
Matured cask

Re: Costco Whisky Sales

Postby Willie JJ » Tue May 10, 2011 12:35 pm

Collector57 wrote:Yes Costco sells whisky over here

England and Scotland
Willie JJ
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Ganga » Tue May 10, 2011 3:36 pm

I also did post this to a US centric site. It seems that Costcos in Massachussets sell whisky as well. It would be fun in the end to have a list of something like this for the world.

What I've found is that even within the stores within 20 miles the available whiskies varies. Northern California gets quite a few different things than southern California.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby PaperQueen » Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:12 pm

They sell whisky in the Minnesota stores too, although I've noticed of late that The Macallan is no longer available, crud.

A year or so ago, the manager pulled me aside to whisper that their store branded whisky (read: private label) was actually 18 yo Macallan. True? False? Don't know, since I was so deep in bottles at that point, putting a Costco bottle on the bar didn't light my fire.
PaperQueen

Postby Ganga » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:38 pm

PaperQueen wrote:They sell whisky in the Minnesota stores too, although I've noticed of late that The Macallan is no longer available, crud.

A year or so ago, the manager pulled me aside to whisper that their store branded whisky (read: private label) was actually 18 yo Macallan. True? False? Don't know, since I was so deep in bottles at that point, putting a Costco bottle on the bar didn't light my fire.

Kirkland has bottled several between 15 and 19 years of age. All from The Macallan. However, these should not be confused with the 18 yo. The standard released 18 yo from The Macallan is olorosso sherry cask matured. The Kirkland bottlings have been finished in sherry casks. That is to say, it is a different animal from the standard bottling. Also, it is different than the bottlings in the Fine Oak series.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby mikeymad » Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:02 pm

Austrailia
Canada
Japan
Korea
Mexico
Puerto Rico
Taiwan
& UK

and a lot of states:

http://www.costco.com/Warehouse/WarehouseList.aspx

But does not say who has booze.

wiki:

Some locations have liquor stores, often kept separate from the main warehouse in order to comply with liquor license restrictions. In some states (such as Texas), the liquor store must be owned and operated by a separate company with separate employees. In 2006, Costco lost a lawsuit against the state of Washington in which it was seeking to purchase wine directly from the producer, bypassing the state retail monopoly. In Australia, Costco has to comply with regulations set by each state they choose trade in; their first store in the state of Victoria benefits from some of the most liberal alcohol licensing laws in the country, with retailers permitted to sell alcohol on shelves within the store, in a manner similar to most European countries, yet they have chosen to have a separate checkout within the liquor section
mikeymad
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby bcrossan » Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:48 am

What Mikey said is correct. Western Beverages is who runs the stores in Austin and they do not get any of the Kirkland brands
bcrossan
Silver Member

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder