Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Some suggestions

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Some suggestions

Postby Clyne » Mon May 23, 2011 11:40 pm

Hello,
I'm interested in trying other whiskies so I thought I'd ask the experts around here what they'd suggest.
The single malts I like are Cragganmore, Talisker, Clynelish, Springbank, Lochnagar, etc, and I've tried most of the better-known ones, from all regions of Scotland. Which not so well-known whiskies should I go for?
Thanks
Clyne

Re: Some suggestions

Postby The Third Dram » Tue May 24, 2011 12:22 am

Benriach (especially the peated varieties)
Bladnoch (high proof/cask strength versions preferably)
Brora (if you can come across any distilled from the early to late 1970s, you'll be in 7th heaven)
Glen Garioch (15YO or 21YO to start, older peated versions distilled in the late 1960s or early 1970s if you really want to get serious)
Longrow (the CV represents an excellent starting point)
Longmorn (the older 15YO edition if you can find it, or the newer 16YO release otherwise)
The Third Dram
Triple Gold Member

Postby pkt77242 » Tue May 24, 2011 4:33 am

Clyne wrote:Hello,
I'm interested in trying other whiskies so I thought I'd ask the experts around here what they'd suggest.
The single malts I like are Cragganmore, Talisker, Clynelish, Springbank, Lochnagar, etc, and I've tried most of the better-known ones, from all regions of Scotland. Which not so well-known whiskies should I go for?
Thanks

Welcome Clyne.

TDD has some great suggestions and I suggest you listen to him.

My question is have you only had OB's of these whiskies or have you had some independent bottlings of them? If you haven't I would suggest looking for them as it is a great way to explore whisky further.
pkt77242
Matured cask

Postby MARS » Tue May 24, 2011 9:46 am

Brora, longmorn and bladnoch is a good sugestion.

I am adding lochside. (a favorite of mine) 1966 and 1981 vintage being the best.

Recent release of littlemill 1989 and 1991 are not bad if not very good (grass + fruits).

MARS
MARS

Postby dramtastic » Tue May 24, 2011 10:15 am

Nikka From The Barrel
Yoichi 10/12
Hibiki 12
Yamazaki 12/NAS Puncheon
Hakushu 12/NAS Heavily Peated
Ichiro's Malts Double Distilleries/Ginkgo
dramtastic
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Clyne » Tue May 24, 2011 2:12 pm

Thank you.
pkt77242, I get original bottlings but have had some by Signatory Vintage. I remember a very good Highland Park bottled by them. In what way is IB better?
Clyne

Postby Ganga » Tue May 24, 2011 3:49 pm

Clyne,

typically the distillery bottlings are a marriage of many casks to achieve a preferred flavor and aroma profile. The formulas for distilleries can include mixing bourbon/sherry casks (Dalmore 12) and first fill/refill sherry (Highland Park 12). They are also typically bottled between 40 and 46%.

Many of the independent bottlings are single cask. They will give you a more unique look at the distillery as you can get single casks that are first fill bourbon, sherry, refills of either, port pipes, etc. that show how the distillery character interacts with the specific type of cask.

Yes, independent bottlers do offer bottlings 40 to 46% but many of them offer a variety that are at cask strength. This lets you choose how much/little water you wish to add to the whisky to get it to your individual liking. Old Malt Cask (OMC) waters down to 50% which still allows you some choice of level of water.

Distilleries do offer some afforadable cask strength whiskies (Ardbeg Uigeadail, Macallan cask strength, Aberlour a'buandh) but these are also marriages of many casks too. I recommend trying one of the cask strength against one of the standard proof bottlings to get an idea of the differences.

Distillery single cask bottlings trend towards expensive even if relatively young.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby Clyne » Tue May 24, 2011 7:17 pm

I see. Thanks for the information
Clyne

Postby rayor » Fri May 27, 2011 11:57 am

Great information, Ganga!
I just tried Aberlour a'buandh from your presented whiskeys, and i really recommend it you, Clyne :thumbsup:
rayor

Postby DavidUK » Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:37 pm

Any Bladnoch at 55%
Any Springbank/Hazelburn
Bunnhahabhain 12yo at 46.3%
Any Kilchoman
DavidUK

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder