Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Shipping whisky during weather extremes?

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Shipping whisky during weather extremes?

Postby Alzarius » Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:49 pm

Is shipping whisky during severe weather extremes (hot or cold) a bad idea? I've always wondered. I know its bad for wine, and I avoid shipping any wine during hot months, but are spirits susceptible to heat damage as well during a 4-5 day shipment?
Alzarius

Re: Shipping whisky during weather extremes?

Postby pkt77242 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:51 am

Alzarius wrote:Is shipping whisky during severe weather extremes (hot or cold) a bad idea? I've always wondered. I know its bad for wine, and I avoid shipping any wine during hot months, but are spirits susceptible to heat damage as well during a 4-5 day shipment?

I would say maybe during hot but a definite no to cold. Where are you getting the whisky shipped from that it is taking 4-5 days (UK?)?

I have ordered whisky from all around during all seasons of the year and haven't noticed any issues but I don't want to say that it doesn't happen.
pkt77242
Matured cask

Postby Ganga » Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:54 am

I have heard about folks having some issues during severe cold. Some of the unchill filtered whiskies have clouded up and never cleared again. However, the recipient didn't notice a degredation in any other aspect of the whisky.

Definitely say "no" to extreme CHANGES in temps.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby Alzarius » Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:37 am

ordering from all places, some great prices on the east coast, and some exclusive stuff of course from the UK. I have a bad habit of looking for deals all year round, but have only bought locally so I can avoid shipping during the really hot months. Recently I was thinking of doing a shipment during the summer, but you guys have confirmed that it really isn't a great idea.
Alzarius

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder