Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Please recommend affordable Canadian whiskey.

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Please recommend affordable Canadian whiskey.

Postby vaindioux » Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:04 pm

Hi

I recently tried a bottle of Canadian whiskey for the first time and it was awful, I can't drink it. It's called "Canadian LTD" and is very affordable.
I do drink the cheapest bourbon & Scotch and have no problems but that Canadian whiskey is just awful to me.
Does that mean Canadian whiskey isn't for me or that this one is just bad.

Thanks

Patrick
vaindioux

Re: Please recommend affordable Canadian whiskey.

Postby richard » Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:14 pm

try crown royal the best canadian whisky i have tried its very good thats my favourite

richard
richard
Silver Member

Postby pkt77242 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:40 am

I would agree with Richard in saying Crown Royal as it is readily available and not bad tasting. Another one to try if you can find it is 40 Creek barrel select. :iwbrnt:
pkt77242
Matured cask

Postby The Third Dram » Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:05 am

Crown Royal Limited Edition (not Reserve or Special Reserve) if you can find it... A little pricier than the regular CR but well worth the difference in cost.

Canadian Club Classic 12 Year Old isn't half bad, either.

And just about anything from Forty Creek is worth a go, too.
The Third Dram
Triple Gold Member

Postby Ganga » Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:00 am

For the most part, I've found Canadian whiskies to be "awful". That is, I find them to taste of alcohol. One of the big exceptions is Bush Pilot but you'll have a hard time finding that. I've yet to try Forty Creek but I hear that it is good.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby vaindioux » Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:55 am

Hi

I appreciate all the answers and will try another Canadian whisky, not sure which one yet from the recommendations above.

Thanks

Patrick
vaindioux

Postby Muskrat Portage » Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:38 pm

John Hall makes an exceptional product in 40 Creek, I own 3 of his offerings. Crown Royal is one of my buddies' in T.O's favorites while another praises Wisers. I drink CC myself. The nice thing about most Canadian whiskies is they make mickies of most of them, so you don't have to shell out a whole lot of money to try a couple.
Musky
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby plainly jane » Sat Aug 13, 2011 4:36 pm

I have to say that I am a little embarrassed not to have tasted many Canadian Whiskies to date, being that I am Canadian.

I have tasted two whiskies both from Alberta Distillers Limited (Calgary). I tried their Alberta Premium 100% Rye Whisky 25 year old when it came out. Jim Murray was in Calgary for a tasting of it at the Kensington Wine Market. He loved it. I liked it very much and found it to be very clean, fresh and a little sweet. It sold for $30.00 CDN and sold off fairly quickly.

This past June, ADL released the Alberta Premium 100% Rye Whisky 30 year old. To me, it tasted very mild, smooth and honeyed with a bit of oil. I liked it but not as well as I liked the 25 year old. The 30 year old is about $60.00 CDN and I think they are almost sold out.

pj
plainly jane
Bronze Member

Postby stubassman » Sun Oct 23, 2011 4:45 pm

The smoothest canadian whisky available is called Wiser's. It is a very reasonably priced product that (in my opinion) outshines all the higher priced, more well known brands. Crown Royal, CC, VO all are more money and not nearly as good. Now I have been searching for years to find a product called Carrington's. If you could find a bottle of Carrington's, you would be even happier. BUT, it's practically impossible to locate. Try Wiser's and I know you will be happy.

Stu
stubassman

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder