Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Old Stitzel-Weller Questions?

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Old Stitzel-Weller Questions?

Postby MichelleinCA » Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:07 am

Hello all,

I have 2 old bottles of Bourbon, both distilled by Stitzel-Weller, both have tax stamps and are 107 proof, but that is where the similarities seem to end. I am not trying to sell them, just learn something about them. I will try to describe both bottles in as much detail as possible. Sorry in advance if this is overkill.

Bottle #1: From the top; a green foil seal around neck reads "WLW since 1849 S.L. Weller (in cursive) Aged Naturally 7 years in wood." The tax stamp is red and says "US Internal Revenue, Tax Paid" on the left, "US Internal Revenue, Distilled Spirits, 247499663" on the right.
Back Below Neck of Bottle: "Federal Law Prohibits Sale or Reuse of this Bottle" molded into the bottle.
Front Below the Neck of the Bottle: It looks like "Stitzel" on top and the word "Weller" below it in a circle, also molded into the bottle.
Back Label: Oval/round, dark cream in color with a gold and green border. The writing in green gives a nice description of the bourbon with a line under it followed by the words: Distilled and Bottled by Stitzel-Well Distillery established 1849 Louisville, Jefferson County, Kentucky. Under the next green line it reads, "Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey, 107 Proof 4/5 Quart, This Whiskey is 7 years old. Distilled in Kentucky."
Front Label: Dark cream in color with green writing. The initials "WLW 1849" just below it followed by words "Original" and "Proof" with a picture of a barrel in between them. The words 4/5 Quart appear in the next section down, far left and are difficult to read because the initials or letters PEOL are on top of it in gold cursive, surrounded by a scrolled border. "Weller's Original" is center and right. The remainder of the label says, " Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey Genuine Old Line Sour Mash Distilled and Bottled by Stitzel-Weller Distillery, Inc. Louisville, Kentucky."
Bottom of the Bottle: Molded into the bottle in a circle in the center, " D 379, 05567." To the left of that the number "1" or letter "I" is molded into the bottle in a circle.

Bottle #2: From the top; A green foil seal around neck reads "WLW since 1849 S.L. Weller (in cursive) Aged Naturally 7 years in wood." The tax stamp is red and says "US Internal Revenue, Tax Paid" 333200220 on the left, "US Internal Revenue, Distilled Spirits," on the right.
Base of Neck Front: Small dark cream colored label that reads "Barrel 107 Proof."
Back Label: Oval/round, dark cream in color with a gold and green border. The writing in green gives a nice description of the bourbon with a line under it followed by the words: Distilled and Bottled by Stitzel-Well Distillery established 1849 Louisville, Jefferson County, Kentucky. Under the next green line it reads, "Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey, 107 Proof 4/5 Quart, This Whiskey is 7 years old. Distilled in Kentucky."
Front Label: Dark cream in color with green writing. The words 4/5 Quart are in the top left hand corner of the label. The initials "WLW 1849" appear on the far left below that followed by words "Original" and "Proof" with a picture of a barrel in between them. The letters PEOL appear in cursive, surrounded by a scrolled border in the next section down, far left. "Weller's Original" is center and right. The remainder of the label says, " Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey Genuine Old Line Sour Mash Distilled and Bottled by Stitzel-Weller Distillery, Inc. Louisville, Kentucky."
Bottom of the Bottle: "Federal Law Prohibits Sale or Reuse of this Bottle 455 D-37967" followed by what looks like and "I" in a circle next to the number molded into the bottle. The bottle looks like it has gold spun all over it in no particular pattern.

Both came on boxes, but I'm not sure which one goes with which; The first one opens like a coffin, has red writing that says, "Stitzel -Weller, Fine Kentucky Bourbon, For Connoisseurs." The second one opens from the top, has green writing and looks like it duplicates the green label for the most part except where it talks about being a virgin in charred oak and stored in seasoned wood for 7 years.

My first questions is, does bourbon continue to age if the bottle is unopened and was properly sealed or does the aging process stop once it has been taken out of the barrel? If I keep it for another 20 years will it improve (I may have to seal the whole thing in a food saver bag to keep the air out).
2. Does bourbon have a shelf life?
3. Is there any way to tell which bottle is older and if so how old are they?
4. If these bottles can be dated, does anyone know if the bourbons in the two bottles are similar, the same or different (if for instance the methods of distillery changed).
5. Can anyone tell which bottle goes with which box (I would like to properly store them).
6. Aside from my food saver idea, can anyone give me and advice or tips on the proper way to store these two wonderful bottles over a long period of time?

I am sincerely grateful for any assistance, advice or direction offered.

Cheers,
Michelle
MichelleinCA

Re: Old Stitzel-Weller Questions?

Postby Ganga » Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:03 am

Michelle, I sent you a PM with some answers and ideas. You should also check in the the folks at http://www.straightbourbon.com/
Ganga
Matured cask

Re: Old Stitzel-Weller Questions?

Postby dramtastic » Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:48 am

Old Stitzel
Isn't that the nickname Ganga's Mrs gave to part of his anatomy. :P
dramtastic
Cask Strength Gold Member

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder