Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

MACALLAN Cask Strength 59.3% or 58.4%

All your whisky related questions answered here.

MACALLAN Cask Strength 59.3% or 58.4%

Postby lionelttrain » Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:21 am

The local liquor store had MACALLAN cask strength available in two strengths; one was marked 59.3% and the other was 58.4%. Since I have a birthday coming up, I bought them both. They are the export version to Canada, so they are NAS, matured in sherry oak casks from Jerez, Spain. I have not opened either bottle. I can detect a slight difference in colour with the higher percent bottle being darker. Here are my questions. Could a knowledgeable person detect the differences between the two or are they the same Scotch? If there are differences, I would appreciate your opinions and descriptions? Which one do you prefer and why? I believe that Scotch that is not marked with an age, such as 12 year old, only has to mature for three years to be bottled legally as Scotch. Since these bottles are NAS (no age stated), how old is the Scotch in MACALLAN cask strength? I appreciate any information you can provide. lionelttrain
lionelttrain

Re: MACALLAN Cask Strength 59.3% or 58.4%

Postby The Third Dram » Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:49 pm

The NAS Macallan Cask Strength for the North American market is nominally matured in 1st and 2nd-fill ex-Sherry oak for around a decade (i.e. there may be slightly younger and slightly older whiskies in the makeup). Personally, I haven't noted any significant differences between the batches I've tasted.
The Third Dram
Triple Gold Member

Postby lionelttrain » Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:32 pm

It doesn't appear that this topic is going to generate a lot of interest or comments, so I appreciate the fact that you took the time to respond. Possibly I should have framed the questions differently because I am interested in knowing what people think of it. Since you are familiar with this product, will you share your thoughts about it is as a drink?
lionelttrain

Postby The Third Dram » Sat Oct 15, 2011 4:39 pm

lionelttrain wrote:...will you share your thoughts about it is as a drink?

A solid performer, all told. I find the Sherry cask influence (European oak tannins and spices combined with sherried sweetness) more to the fore than in the standard strength 12-year old bottling (probably to greater extraction of these characteristics in the cask strength version). How do I like to drink it? With a little bit of water added, as I find this smoothens the overall flavour impact and helps to open up the spirit.

As a slightly contrasting alternative, I should mention that I can happily enjoy Aberlour a'bunadh (another cask strength Sherry 'monster') either with or without water. You might want to give that one a go if you haven't already.
The Third Dram
Triple Gold Member

Postby Fscott » Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:12 am

I am probably in the minority here, but I actually prefer Macallan 10 cask strength to both Aberlour A'bunadh and Glenfarclas 105. I remember it being 'darker', more sherried, more intense than the others. The Macallan is also cheaper than the other two in my neck of the woods. In fact, I need to pick up another bottle.
Fscott

Postby Ganga » Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:29 pm

Can people identify the different Macallan cask strengths? They are very similar. My friend and I did a suite of them 4 or 5 years ago. Yes there were differences but they are much more similar than Aberlour a'bunadh. Also, the batches occasionally have the same strength.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby lionelttrain » Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:34 am

Ganga, thanks for confirming that there is a difference; however, I am stating to get the feeling that I should return these two and get a bottle of Aberlour a'bunadh; which by the way, I have no idea what it is. I have a few too many bottles on the go to open these two Macallans at the moment, but other than Fscott, the comments are not what I call positive and they were too much money to use as bookends.
lionelttrain

Postby lionelttrain » Sun Oct 23, 2011 2:05 am

As a direct result of comments posted by Ganga and The Third Dram I couldn't resist buying a bottle of Aberlour A'bunadh today. It is from batch 33 rated at 60.9% and if anyone has comments on that particular batch before I open it, I would appreciate hearing from you. Actually I did my research and read the "Best A'bunadh Batch" thread; unfortunately there are no comments yet on batch 33, although the comments were very interesting and informative on other batches. I also read the thread on open bottles and by the looks of it I think I am safe to open a couple of more without fear of them deteriorating. I will let you know what I think of A'bunadh compared to Macallan Cask Strength. Thanks for all your help and advice.
lionelttrain

Postby Ganga » Sun Oct 23, 2011 5:50 am

LTrain:

Go to the Live Tasting Section and look up the Aberlour tasting thread. You will find a lot of data on the earlier batches.

I have no problem with the Macallan CS series. I would say the are more consistent than the a'bunadhs. They are two different animals. I'd recommend trying both.
Ganga
Matured cask

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder