Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Unique Whisky suggestions for gifts

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Unique Whisky suggestions for gifts

Postby desidude » Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:58 am

Hello friends,

I am traveling to parts of Asia later this week, and would like to buy some fine spirits to gift family members and business associates.

I can either buy them here in HOUSTON and check them in my luggage, or buy them in the Duty free shop at the airport in DUBAI.

I do not drink by choice, so please pardon my ignorance

I am looking for some wonderful, UNIQUE WHISKY (SINGLE MALT OR BLENDED) that I can gift to my business clients and friends.

As you know, Johnnie Walker Black Label is the MOST COMMONLY CONSUMED SCOTCH and VERY VERY POPULAR....but I want something that makes a statement.

I can spend for quality.

Also any suggestions on great unique wines & champagne or any other spirits is welcome.

Thanks so much,
desidude
desidude

Re: Unique Whisky suggestions for gifts

Postby jazz lover » Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:17 pm

Spec's wine and spirits here in Houston has an outstanding
selection of Malts and Blends.I do believe you can find
everything you need here.If you need assistance locating
something Special let me know.Happy hunting..
jazz lover
Double Gold Member

Postby Fscott » Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:10 pm

One thing you could do is ask at duty free about bottles only sold in duty free shops. That way you avoid buying a bottle that the recipient will see at his or her local liquor store. You can also take advantage and buy a liter bottle of many good ol' daily drams.
I recently bought a 1998 Highland Park at DFW that claims to be exclusive to travel retail. There was also a 1994. In Brussels, I saw several Bruichladdichs and Bunnahabhains that I have never heard of and a few Glenmorangies that aren't available where I live.
Fscott

Postby steveblack » Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:38 pm

I would second Jazz Lover's suggestion of buying at Houston than at Dubai Duty Free as the selection of malts while reasonably OK, it may not be as good as it is at Houston. Just in case you need some rare whisky while at Dubai Duty Free, check out the Le Clos shop in departure, somewhere near gate 23, if I recollect correctly. They have stuff that is not found in the DDF shop.

If you are looking at some suggestion for what whisky to buy, then more may be forthcoming. I would suggest something like Glenlivet Nadurra Cask Strenght (not the 48% ABV travel retain version) as I got nothing but admiration from many of my whisky loving Asian friends when I offered this. Islay whiskies fared very badly with many of them, so I would avoid them, just to be on safe side, eventhough they are excellent. While I have not had Abelour a'bunadh, I have a feeling it might appeal to them because it is a sherry bomb. Something like Glenmorangie Original is another favoured whisky, if you need something cheaper because of its frutiness. Most of my friends are actually grown upon staples like chivas and Black Label and have no idea about these brands. YMMV on these suggestions, but they worked for me :)

Happy hunting.
steveblack
Bronze Member

Postby steveblack » Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:48 pm

Just to add to what I wrote, apart from the Glenmorangie, others are not available in Dubai or in this region, to my knowledge. If your travel include India, check out Clynelish 14 as I have seen it nearly 30% cheaper in Indian duty free compared to DDF prices. It is a very good whisky that doesn't get any extreme reactions and thus a safe bet.
steveblack
Bronze Member

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder