Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

The Macallan - Fine Oak Range

All your whisky related questions answered here.

The Macallan - Fine Oak Range

Postby lockejn » Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:31 pm

I'm not generally a fan of heavily sherried whiskies, and after trying the standard Mac 12 a few years ago I set the distillery aside and haven't thought much about it since.

The state LC has just approved a small purchase of the Fine Oak 21 which put the distillery back on my radar. I've seen a lot of backhanded comments over the years about the FO series as a whole, so my natural reflex is to steer clear. But we don't get a lot of new whisky around here so I'm tempted to have a look.

Given the prices, I may consider going for one of the younger expressions despite the novelty of the 21, but I wonder what you all think. Maybe I should go with my gut instinct and stay away just the same?

Macallan FO 15 - $85
Macallan FO 17 - $130
Macallan FO 21 - $199

** I understand the differences in maturation between the "sherry" line and the Fine Oak series. I'm looking for your subjective impressions of what's in the bottle. TY.
lockejn
Triple Gold Member

Re: The Macallan - Fine Oak Range

Postby lockejn » Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:54 am

bump
lockejn
Triple Gold Member

Postby whiskgeek » Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:25 am

Fine Oak is good. Nothing really makes it stand out to me (but I'm an Islay fan), so it may be overpriced, but there's not a thing wrong with it.
whiskgeek
Bronze Member

Postby Ganga » Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:51 am

The 21 has been the most drinkable of the lot but way overpriced. Now mind you I really like the sherry ones. If you want to try a FO, start with the 15 and skip the 10 (even though you didn't list it).
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby Novice Scotch Fan » Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:52 am

The 10 FO is terrible. The rest of the range is just way over priced. There are better alternatives at substantially lower prices.
Novice Scotch Fan
Gold Member

Postby whiskynig » Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:37 am

Novice Scotch Fan wrote:The 10 FO is terrible. The rest of the range is just way over priced. There are better alternatives at substantially lower prices.

You might well have a point. However, not being a fan of the standard Macallan (too sherried for me) I truly found nothing wrong with any of the Fine Oak bottlings I have tried, the 10 yo included. Not that they are top of my list for purchasing, you understand, just trying to explain the differences.
If you going to purchase one I agree to try the 15 if it fits within your price parameters.
whiskynig
Bronze Member

Postby MARS » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:55 pm

I agree with the others, it's not bad whisky but it's overpriced.
Given that you can have a longmorn 30 years old G&M for 90£ and an incredible choice of single cask of very good quality for less than 200$, choice is easy!
MARS

Postby SheltieBoy » Tue May 01, 2012 8:40 pm

Novice Scotch Fan wrote:The 10 FO is terrible. The rest of the range is just way over priced. There are better alternatives at substantially lower prices.

The Fine Oak 10 is one of my favorites!
I noticed on the "card" at the 'Big Box' beverage store that it had a very high rating from one of the majors...everyone's taste is different.
SheltieBoy

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder