Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Japan VS Scotland

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Japan VS Scotland

Postby Jonwin » Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:40 pm

I have to edmite it to myself.

These Japanese somehow figured the exact compositian to make amazing whisky. I tried the Nikka Pure Malt White. It's right up there with the lagavulin 16.

Does anyone know if the disttileration process is defferent in Japan than in Scotland?
Jonwin

Re: Japan VS Scotland

Postby dramtastic » Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:52 am

Well firstly it should never be Japan v Scotland IMO. They both make some great whisky and not so great whisky and each bottling from either country(or any other country) should be judged on it's own merits.

The greatest contributor to Japanese whisky quality is the Japanese culture of perfection.

The Nikka Pure Malt White is a blend of Japanese whisky and Scottish whisky from Islay.
dramtastic
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby bredman » Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:50 am

Jonwin wrote:These Japanese somehow figured the exact compositian to make amazing whisky.

This is no secret.

Masataka Taketsuru (the father/founder of Japanese whisky) travelled to Scotland to learn the art of distilling whisky just prior to 1920. He studied in Glasgow and worked several distilleries, even marrying a Scottish woman before returning to Japan and sowing the seeds of the Japanese whisky industry. Therefore the Scottish and Japanese styles are very very similar.

If you have the stills, the water, and the knowhow there is no reason why you can't match the best out there, which the Japanese have proved.

The Nikka Pure Malt White is a very good whisky and you're not the only one out there that prefers it to the Laga 16.
bredman
Double Gold Member

Postby whiskgeek » Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:35 am

I had some Nikka From the Barrel, and it reminded me of Aberlour A'Bunadh.
whiskgeek
Bronze Member

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder