Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Adding water.

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Adding water.

Postby Jon.McGregor » Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:17 am

Who here adds a few drops of water to their whisky?
I have personally never added anything, not even the slightest bit afraid it will ruin the experience for me.
But some people swear by it.

If you add drops of water, what type of water do you use?
A friend of mine suggested and swears by adding Fiji water.

What's everyone thoughts? :)
Jon.McGregor

Re: Adding water.

Postby bredman » Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:19 am

Personally i rarely bother. The main reason being laziness. I find bottled water, bottled in plastic, tastes overpoweringly of plastic and wouldn't want to put that into a fine whisky. If you should add water i'd go for a glass bottled water, or tap water.

Someone with more experience about amounts of water will be along shortly - maybe.
bredman
Double Gold Member

Postby whiskgeek » Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:43 am

I figure the master distiller put a lot of care into making this whisky taste just right. Why would I want to mess that up? If they'd wanted more water in it, they would have added it themselves, right? What is it, whisky concentrate?

I have tried adding a few drops, on occasion, to see if it would make a difference. Every time, I've either not detected a difference, or it had a negative effect. I've always used either tap water or run-of-the-mill (bottling plant?) bottled water. Be careful of tap water - some of it can have quite strong flavors and aromas. My town's water is heavily chlorinated, for example.
whiskgeek
Bronze Member

Postby outamyway » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:52 am

Adding water is strictly for evaluation of the whisky. Nosing high proof liquor deadens the smell receptors in your nose rendering them much less effective at isolating individual aroma characteristics.

For enjoyment do whatever you want, add ice/water/coke/juice/puppies it is irrelevant. You should drink whatever tastes best to you.
outamyway

Postby AdamMY » Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:53 am

IMHO there should be no reason to really add water to anything bottled below 46% as typically those have already been watered down by the distillery itself. (Rare exceptions of those extremely alcohol greedy casks or very old casks which can sometimes naturally fall at or below that point).

But that being said when you get to Cask Strength products they can occasionally be incredibly overpowering. That being said they are often more enjoyable when enjoyed naturally, but sometimes when getting to know them it can be much more enjoyable to dilute them a bit. That being said I now have little issue drinking stuff at 55% or so, but one thing I have at 60% can still be incredibly overwhelming, though exceedingly delicious.

If I do add water, I add tap water, that I have tried to let rest for awhile both to come up to room temp and loose some of the chlorine.
AdamMY
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby whiskgeek » Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:46 am

Adding water is strictly for evaluation of the whisky.

Well that's kinda what I've assumed. They say that water "opens up the flavors and aromas". I've never been certain what that meant, but guessed that adding water dilutes the whisky enough, that the individual elements are easier to discern.

Nosing high proof liquor deadens the smell receptors in your nose rendering them much less effective at isolating individual aroma characteristics.

That's good to know too. Thanks!
whiskgeek
Bronze Member

Postby bredman » Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:49 am

Professional blenders will assess whiskies between 20-30%.
bredman
Double Gold Member

Postby nash60975 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:29 pm

I found this to be an interesting post summarizing and referencing a scholarly article on this topic.

http://blog.khymos.org/2007/06/03/new-p ... and-water/
nash60975

Postby Novice Scotch Fan » Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:24 pm

Adding water depends on the malt.

I never add anything to Highland Park 12, 15, 18 or 25.

But, I always add a little to Cragganmore 12, Glenlivet 18 and some cask strength bottlings of other distilleries.

Why? I find a little water can make the flavor profile more nuanced, complex if you will. Of course, purely subjective, but for me it is a must with certain malts.
Novice Scotch Fan
Gold Member

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder