Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Recommendations sought (2 New bottles)

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Recommendations sought (2 New bottles)

Postby tempwave » Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:59 am

Currently I have a Glenmorangie 10 and a Glenmorangie Lasanta open.

I have a Glenmorangie 18 on the way.

I've thought about picking up Hibiki 12 and Ardbeg 10, but I am just not sure. I am so new to this that it is hard to decide. The closest bar with a good selection is nearly 40 miles away so I'd rather just invest in a bottle.

So I'm looking for two more bottles that will be around the $45-$65 dollar range that will broaden my spectrum a little more. I'm not scared to try new things and would like something shockingly different from what I already have.

Any help is appreciated!

-Adam
tempwave

Re: Recommendations sought (2 New bottles)

Postby dramtastic » Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:36 am

Well then get the Hibiki and if they have released in your area Hakushu 12
dramtastic
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby bredman » Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:48 pm

tempwave wrote:I've thought about picking up Hibiki 12 and Ardbeg 10, but I am just not sure.

-Adam

Nothing wrong with that selection at all.
bredman
Double Gold Member

Postby Ryguy » Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:56 pm

If you are looking for shockingly different, then definitely go with the Ardbeg 10. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Ryguy
Triple Gold Member

Postby tempwave » Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:47 pm

Thanks for the encouragement. I have held off on ordering anything because I found a few local places to try before I buy.

Thus far I have tried Redbreast 12 which I really enjoyed and Lagavulin 16 which was incredible.

So my list has changed a little bit.
Redbreast 12
Lagavulin 16
Yamazaki 12
Glenfiddich 15 or a Springbank 10 (not sure)

This is a really exciting/fun time for me being able to try something new.

Any more suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
tempwave

Postby AdamMY » Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:44 am

Redbreast is definitely nice. If you liked it you might want to explore Irish Whiskies a bit more, although I would recommend avoiding the White Label Bushmills, and depending on who you talk to Entry Level Jameson also.

The Yamazaki 12 is certainly quite nice, although I only found out too late from my bottle that its one of those whiskys that needs lengthy exposure to air to mellow/ release its full potential. But Yamazaki 12 certainly offers some flavors not typically found in Scottish, Irish, or American Whiskys.

If you liked the Lagavulin then definitely consider giving Ardbeg 10 a try. I have not been disappointed in any Ardbeg I have ever had.
AdamMY
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby tempwave » Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:59 pm

Well I finally settled in with my decision and ordered
Glenfiddich 15
Yamazaki 12
Highland Park 12
Lagavulin 16

I cancelled the order for the Glenmorangie 18.

Right now I don't really know what is next. I should probably start drinking some of these down.
tempwave

Postby tempwave » Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:20 am

AdamMY wrote:Redbreast is definitely nice. If you liked it you might want to explore Irish Whiskies a bit more, although I would recommend avoiding the White Label Bushmills, and depending on who you talk to Entry Level Jameson also.

The Yamazaki 12 is certainly quite nice, although I only found out too late from my bottle that its one of those whiskys that needs lengthy exposure to air to mellow/ release its full potential. But Yamazaki 12 certainly offers some flavors not typically found in Scottish, Irish, or American Whiskys.

If you liked the Lagavulin then definitely consider giving Ardbeg 10 a try. I have not been disappointed in any Ardbeg I have ever had.

Thanks for the input. I ordered 4 bottles not too long ago and picked them up today. Unfortunately, the Highland Park 12 I ordered was out of stock and the store had to issue a refund. I'm a little upset, but I'm sure I'll get a bottle in the near future.

I guess I'll resort back to the Red Breast as that's what I originally had planned to get.
tempwave

Postby Martcon80 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:22 am

Great choices all round. I'd whole hearted suggest adding Ardbeg 10 or any other of their offerings to your collection though. There's always a bottle of Uigeadail open in my house :thumbsup: l
Martcon80

Postby tempwave » Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:07 am

Martcon80 wrote:Great choices all round. I'd whole hearted suggest adding Ardbeg 10 or any other of their offerings to your collection though. There's always a bottle of Uigeadail open in my house :thumbsup: l

I just purchased Ardbeg 10, but haven't opened it yet.

Next up is most likely Hibiki 12, OP12, and Glenmorangie Artein.
tempwave

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder