Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Wild Turkey 101 8 Year Old

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Wild Turkey 101 8 Year Old

Postby Jonwin » Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:53 pm

Hi Guys,
I Came across this Bourbon and was wondering whats your take on it?
I tasted a very nice Bourbon Called Black Maple Hill a while back. It's one of those Small distilleries in the heart of America.

So my concern is that this Wild turkey is more of a industrial type (equivalent to a Glenfiddich 12 for example).

Is that a fair way to judge a bourbon?

Thanks,
Jon
Jonwin

Re: Wild Turkey 101 8 Year Old

Postby Vest » Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:08 pm

Perhaps. It's hard to tell coming from Denmark, but I've had a few of the most common ones. I think it's pretty much as good as it gets if you don't want to spend a small fortune..
Vest

Postby nash60975 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:11 pm

Jonwin wrote:I tasted a very nice Bourbon Called Black Maple Hill a while back. It's one of those Small distilleries in the heart of America.

I appreciate your comment and question, this is relevant to what many people wrestle with about which companies to support with their whisk(e)y purchases.

Black Maple Hill was actually the bourbon that inspired me to start exploring whiskey. It isn't from a small distillery in Kentucky though. It is released from a company called Kentucky Bourbon Distillers, who at this time don't actually distill anything (although they have plans to start in the next couple years). They are similar to Scottish/British independent bottlers who buy casks from the large companies and either release single barrels (Willett Bourbons and Rye) or blend them to make smaller batches of quality bourbons. They have a pretty impressive lineup of different expressions at varying price points.

This being said, they are still a small company worthy of your support, even if their juice is coming from the big guys. Unfortunately, the most renowned and some of the best tasting bourbons are owned by the biggest companies, i.e. Pappy Van Winkle, Buffalo Trace Antique Collection, Parker's Heritage Collection. These are worth trying, as well as owning, but there are still a lot of craft and independent distillers around the country worthy of a look (High West, Leopold Bros, McCarthys, St. George, Anchor Steam).

I would recommend trying the Wild Turkey 101 somewhere, and if you like it, buy it; but also explore the smaller distilleries and blenders to find more whiskies you like from companies worth supporting.

This is also just my perspective on the matter, I'm curious what other people's thoughts are.
nash60975

Postby Jonwin » Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:51 pm

what's your stand on age difference in Bourbons?

I came across a 16 year old Black Maple Hill, it costs about 90$ more than the "Small Batch" one. and I'm wondering if it's worth it.

I find that with Single Malt's the correlation between the age and the price is just (in most cases). But with Bourbon's I'm not sure.
What's your take on it?

also, a suggestion on a good rye whiskey would be great.

Thanks
Jon
Jonwin

Postby hyperfuji » Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:43 pm

Rye suggestions:

Thomas H handy- BT antique collection
Sazerac 18-BT antique collection
Templeton rye
Some of the new younger willett ryes have been very good as well
Rittenhouse
hyperfuji
Gold Member

Postby nash60975 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:19 am

Jonwin wrote:what's your stand on age difference in Bourbons?

I came across a 16 year old Black Maple Hill, it costs about 90$ more than the "Small Batch" one. and I'm wondering if it's worth it.

I find that with Single Malt's the correlation between the age and the price is just (in most cases). But with Bourbon's I'm not sure.
What's your take on it?

also, a suggestion on a good rye whiskey would be great.

Thanks
Jon

In my opinion, age doesn't necessarily mean better, the 16 year old black maple hill is really good, and much more complex and different than the small batch; but it's not worth the price considering the quality of some other bourbons you can get for much less. In regards to age in bourbons, there is so much variability depending on other factors, but I have trouble w most bourbons I've had over the age of 20, too much wood influence for my palate.

Rye whiskies - The ones that hyper mentioned are all great recommendations, I would add the High West Rendezvous Rye (and any of their other Rye expressions), Jefferson 10 year old, Whistlepig 10 year old, and the Pappy 13 year rye if you can ever find it (or want to pay 3x the price on Ebay).
nash60975

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder