Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Glenfiddich Havana Reserve

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Glenfiddich Havana Reserve

Postby whiskyone » Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:10 pm

Hi Everyone. :)

This is my first post, so I'd just like to say hello to all of you.

I just recently bought a selection of whiskies, among which was a bottle of Glenfiddich Havana Reserve.

I've been collecting whisky for a while now (small time amatuer :lol: ).

A friend told me a while back, that if i ever came across a bottle of this I should buy it. It cost me around £90, which I suppose is about what it's worth ?

I've had a scout around on the web and I can't really find a great deal out about it, apart from the story about it being stopped from entering the U.S.

I suppose i'd just like to know what you fella's think of it, and if it's one I should hang on to. Perhaps someone could shed a little light as to the number of these produced and their current availability.

Any info or advice is welcome and appreciated.

Cheers mateys :)
whiskyone

Re: Glenfiddich Havana Reserve

Postby bredman » Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:32 pm

Hello whiskyone,
The Havana Reserve was replaced by the Gran Reserva and then the Caribbean Cask iirc and finally the current 21yo Rum Cask, which has a raised abv. Sells for around £83 in it's current guise. The Gran Reserva i tried was typical older 'fiddich being smooth and easy to drink.

I found one in retail for £320, but i'd be surprised if it ever sells for that. One went at auction for half that recently and was considered a good price for the seller.

Yes it was discontinued as the largest market for 'fiddich - USA - closed due to the embargo on Cuba and Cuban goods/words etc..

http://www.whiskymag.com/whisky/brand/g ... ky601.html
bredman
Double Gold Member

Postby whiskyone » Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:28 pm

Hi, and thanks for the reply bredman :thumbsup:

Probably one to keep a hold of and watch what happens then i suppose.

How long did the run of Havana Reserve last before it was discontinued by the way ?

I've heard some say the whisky was different in the new batch, and others say it was just re-labeled. So i'm not really sure about that either ?
whiskyone

Postby AVB » Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:45 pm

If you ever get the urge it truly is an outstanding dram. I've had trhe replacements and they just don't seem quite the same.
AVB
Bronze Member

Postby whiskyone » Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:48 am

AVB wrote:If you ever get the urge it truly is an outstanding dram. I've had trhe replacements and they just don't seem quite the same.

Now you've done it. The bleedin' thing's going to haunt me forever more now. lol. :lol:

A few people i've spoken to have said the same thing AVB.

Ahh, what to do :empty:
whiskyone

Postby TheEngineer » Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:56 am

In an article by Larry Luxner in 2003, it mentions that they had sold 1800 cases or I'm assuming about 10,800 bottles. As it was not meant to be a collectors items until it was banded, I'm assuming most people bought it and consumed it. As such, it's not going to be easy to find almost 10 years hence.
TheEngineer

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder