Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Distillery Only Bottles...

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Distillery Only Bottles...

Postby AdamMY » Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:33 am

A somewhat odd question but relevant to me as I will be visiting at least one Scottish Distillery this summer. For those of you that have had the good fortune to visit Scottish Distilleries, especially those that offer Distillery only Bottles, are the bottles generally worth it?

They appeal to the side of me that says I will likely not be able to get my hands on one of these ever again or at least not for quite some time. But at the same time if its absolutely amazing, I will be unable to get my hands on it ever again.

Feel free to comment if it honestly depends on the distillery ( i.e. some are great/ good, while others are pittyful). In case anyone is wondering the Distillery I plan to visit is Glengoyne, and their teapot dram really piques my interest, it sounds almost like a Glengoyne take on Abunadh.
AdamMY
Cask Strength Gold Member

Re: Distillery Only Bottles...

Postby dramtastic » Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:45 am

Distillery only bottles are obviously not going to necessarily be any better than general release stuff. They are however pretty cool to own because of their rarity and i've had a few crackers.
dramtastic
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby r900p » Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:40 am

It depends where and when you are going.

Timing... If your going to Islay and it's around Feis Ile time all the Islay distilleries will have their own bottling.

But generally those that i know have bottles are

Bruichladdich
Aberlour
Glenfiddich

There a good few more but they escape me.

Rob
r900p
Double Gold Member

Postby MacDeffe » Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:02 pm

Bottle from a cask

Best ones I had was Glenmorangie and Old Pulteney, they were outstanding

They tend to be good quality single cask bottlings but on the expensive side sometimes. The last one I bought was a 15yo'isg Glen Moray at 45£ish which was both good whisky and a decent price!

afaik Glenmorangie doesn't offer this anymore

Deveral Diageo fistilleries have distillery only bottlings anf the few I have tasted has been good and worth the money (Lagavulin, Taslisker, Caol Ila, Glenkinchie)

Steffen
MacDeffe
Bronze Member

Postby Fscott » Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:52 pm

I think Balvenie lets you bottle your own as part of the distillery tour. That has always intrigued me.

I work with a girl who was a tour guide at Glengoyne. I'll ask her about it.
Fscott

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder