Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

What do you think of the Hibiki 12?

All your whisky related questions answered here.
Related whiskies : Hibiki 12 Years Old

What do you think of the Hibiki 12?

Postby Doug1937 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:34 am

I tried my first Japanese whiskey, the Yamazaki 12, a year or two ago and loved it. So when I recently saw the Hibiki 12 in my local Total Wine & More I took notice. It was the last bottle they had, too, which was all the prompting I needed to make the purchase (I never know when any particular line might be discontinued, and I hate to miss out on any of them). More, the bottle was gorgeous, looking almost like a decanter.

I'm happy I bought it, but now that I've tried it I'm confess I'm a bit disappointed. It reminds me too much of Crown Royal. Probably because it's a blend, I suppose, but I'm not a blend-basher. I've had plenty of blends that I enjoyed.

What do you think of the Hibiki 12? I won't be buying it again, even though I rarely buy any expression a second time. Nah, this time I'll keep my eye out for a Nikka.
:)
Doug1937
Bronze Member

Re: What do you think of the Hibiki 12?

Postby dramtastic » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:24 am

Give it time, my bottle has only came good towards the last quarter. I will say that compared to a number of Japanese blends I've had including other Suntorys it's nice but not great. The Hibiki 21YO however(which has spoiled me) is outstanding and should be in every whisky cabinet.
dramtastic
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Ganga » Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:32 pm

I think it is a decent standard whisky. As Dram points out, it does get quite a bit better after time. And yes the 21 (and the 17) are much, much better.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby Novice Scotch Fan » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:18 pm

The 17 is incredible and lightyears better than the 12. Trouble is sourcing it in the US is very difficult. Last time (about a month ago) I looked into it, the 17 was not being distributed at all in the US.
Novice Scotch Fan
Gold Member

Postby tempwave » Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:35 am

I just ordered the Hibiki 12 as it is getting difficult to find around here and I really want a taste. The local store sells out really fast and the other place in town has it $20 higher than anywhere else. Hoping to pick it up friday.

I'll post what I think, but I am a novice at this kind of thing.
tempwave

Related whiskies : Hibiki 12 Years Old

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder