Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

How to know Noh

All your whisky related questions answered here.

How to know Noh

Postby Fscott » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:58 pm

This is a question perhaps for Dramtastic or any other Japanese whisky experts (all opinions welcome, of course). I have only tried Japanese whisky at Whiskylive (Yoichi 10 and Yamazaki 18). I have been doing some research and must say that I have been seduced by the 'concept' of the Karuizawa and Hanyu Noh whiskies. While not cheap, they seem to be an incredible deal for the price and the reviews have all been stellar (normally from 90 - 95).

My question than is this: how does one find out about their availability? I read that the last Karuizawa Noh sold out on a British website in 17 minutes.
Fscott

Re: How to know Noh

Postby dramtastic » Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:33 am

Sorry Fscott but where are you finding these incredible deals? Last time I looked(today) on whiskyauction they seemed ridiculously priced(though the Hanyu's are usually better value than the Karuizawa's). Is there somewhere else you have found them cheaper?
Is it the fancy label you are 'seduced' by or the whisky inside?

I'm more of fan of Hanyu than Karuizawa(personal taste), but the Noh Hanyu I've had doesn't work that well for me. Reason, fully sherry matured or sherry finished Hanyu's/Ichiro's Malts(same thing) are the least successful style that distillery has produced IMO. Unless that is you like gunpowder/matchheads/sulphur. Some have less of this than others the Noh being at the upper end of the scale. It not a bad whisky the Noh, just not great.

As for Karuizawa, reasonable well priced for what they are when first introduced to UK/Europe, I personally find no value in them now(well the one's sold there). I have some really good ones and some really crap ones. It's down the list of my favorite Japanese distilleries, so no need for me bothering to paying the money being asked these days in UK/Europe. I've had/have a number of other Japanese whiskys I'd rate in the 90's that cost 100 bucks or less.

Best someone who loves Karuizawa's answer about their Noh bottlings as you may have similar tastes and are prepared to pay the money being asked for them.

Oh I guess I answered your second question. You will find them on whiskyauction.
http://www.whiskyauction.com/

DT
dramtastic
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Fscott » Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:09 am

Thanks for the answer, Dramtastic. I don't think I explained myself very well in my original post. (and maybe 'seduced' was a bit much).

After reading several blogs and seeing 'best whisky I have ever tried', 'in my top 5 all-time whiskies' and 'a once-in-a-lifetime whisky experience' I was intrigued. I know the prices have blown up and they are selling for 300-500 euros on whisky auction sites, but they were originally around 127 - 179 pounds (depending on the release) on Masters of Malt. For all the accolades, this seemed like a fairly reasonable price. What I was trying to ask is: are these bottles released at this price every so often, and if so, is there a way to get advanced warning?

I have to admit that the packaging is really cool, but that's not the real reason.

Any recommendations for a place to start with Japanese whisky? All I've seen in my neck of the woods is Yoichi 10, Nikka and Yamazaki from 10 - 18.
Fscott

Postby dramtastic » Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:59 am

Thanks Fscott.
No advanced warnings about releases I'm afraid. And no, when they are will not be at those prices. See TWE for latest price on Karuizawa ie
http://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/P-13006.aspx
The fact that they have a Noh label rather than a more generic label means nothing in regards to quality.

DT
dramtastic

Postby dramtastic » Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:18 am

p.s PM me anytime in regards to Japanese whisky
dramtastic

Postby bredman » Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:56 pm

The first Nohs were £60-70 iirc and the last one was £135 on release. The next one could be double that. :x
bredman
Double Gold Member

Postby Fscott » Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:52 pm

Much obliged, Dramtastic. The only other bottles of Kariuzawa that I've seen available here were bottled for Whisky Live Paris and they go for 260 euros and up.

Bredman, that's exactly what I thought/feared - that those prices are a thing of the past.

Thanks again to both.
Fscott

Postby dramtastic » Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:41 pm

bredman wrote:The first Nohs were £60-70 iirc and the last one was £135 on release. The next one could be double that. :x

Did you manage to pick any up at the original prices?
dramtastic

Postby bredman » Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:24 am

dramtastic wrote:
bredman wrote:The first Nohs were £60-70 iirc and the last one was £135 on release. The next one could be double that. :x

Did you manage to pick any up at the original prices?

I picked up the #5004 (iirc) Noh for about £70 and polished it off years ago. It was a fantastic whisky. I wish i bought 5 cases :lol:
bredman
Double Gold Member

Postby Alzarius » Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:40 am

What does a Noh label mean, if anything? I can't figure out the difference between ones that have "Noh" and ones that do not. The bottles look different too. How do they decide when a cask gets a Noh release?
Alzarius

Postby bredman » Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:01 am

Noh is a type of Japanese musical theatre. Masks are used and the Noh releases have an image of one of these masks (or something similar) on the label. They have created something collectable.

bredman
Double Gold Member

Postby Alzarius » Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:17 am

Thanks. That is helpful. Just a series of different labels then, like their other series.
Alzarius

Postby dramtastic » Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:02 am

Actually Noh stands for double your money in 2 months all because of a $1 label. :shock:
dramtastic

Postby gimmeadram » Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:38 am

I have a Noh Karuizawa that I haven't opened yet... I usually open right away anything that I buy but surprisingly I've so far been able to keep away from this bottle, knowing that one day, it might be worth a lot more than what I paid for, which was a lot already. Anyway, knowing me, it's just a matter of time... I have little self control :headbang:
gimmeadram

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder