Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

The Boss and Justerini & Brooks

All your whisky related questions answered here.

The Boss and Justerini & Brooks

Postby smgrey24 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:50 pm

I am new to Scotch and am looking to expand my tasting experiences. My boss is a huge fan of J&B (Justerini & Brooks) Blended Scotch Whisky and recommended that I give it a try. Was wondering what the experts out there thought of J&B? Is it as good as the boss claims?
smgrey24

Re: The Boss and Justerini & Brooks

Postby Ganga » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:18 pm

I've had quite a few blends that were far worse than J&B. Then again, I've had a lot better blends too. J&B is on the inexpensive side so you can always give it a try.

If you are looking to expand your whisky horizons, I suggest miniatures, 200 mls or half bottles. Should be plenty of blends and a few single malts to get you started.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby whiskgeek » Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:22 am

What do you plan on doing with it? J&B is fine for mixers. But in my opinion, there's not much Scotch that's worse. It's right down there with Cutty Sark, and Glenfiddich 12. Johnnie Walker Red, Famous Grouse, Dewar's White Label and Glenlivet 12 are a small step up. But again, best for mixers. Maybe rocks.

Any of those are affordable, and will give you an idea of what Scotch tastes like. If you think you might be interested, take the next step and find some single malt. Find a good bar that has several bottles of the good stuff, and ask for a glass, neat. Tell them you want to try something smooth.

Or just try the single malt first. :)
whiskgeek
Bronze Member

Postby AdamMY » Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:12 am

whiskgeek wrote:What do you plan on doing with it? J&B is fine for mixers. But in my opinion, there's not much Scotch that's worse. It's right down there with Cutty Sark, and Glenfiddich 12. Johnnie Walker Red, Famous Grouse, Dewar's White Label and Glenlivet 12 are a small step up. But again, best for mixers. Maybe rocks.

Any of those are affordable, and will give you an idea of what Scotch tastes like. If you think you might be interested, take the next step and find some single malt. Find a good bar that has several bottles of the good stuff, and ask for a glass, neat. Tell them you want to try something smooth.

Or just try the single malt first. :)

J&B will likely not be something to drive someone to go crazy for whisky, but it certainly could be worse. In my memory I find JW red, Dewar's white, Famous Grouse and the basic Chivas Regal far worse. I have yet to try Cutty sark so I will not comment on that. But granted while Glenfiddich 12 and Glenlivet 12 may not be the most complex drams, for what they are and what they are usually priced, they are quite good. I myself originally fell into the trap of ranking them lower because they could basically be found anywhere that sold hard liquor.
AdamMY
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby whiskgeek » Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:33 am

That's probably down to personal preference then, so... fair enough.

I think JW Red is fair except for the grain taste (obviously my own personal preference). I know someone who rates it among his favorites. Cutty Sark is a very watered down blend, with an otherwise decent flavor. I recently had some 'Fiddich 12, and rate it the same as all the others I mentioned (except the Red and Glenlivet) - to be avoided.

But I want to make clear to the original poster, that I have expensive tastes. My "to be avoided" category will mean little to him, except in the most general sense.

Here's another angle. He may try the J&B, and like it. If he never tries another Scotch, he may continue thinking it's the best, and saving a lot of money. I know someone who drank a particular cheap Scotch for years, based on the recommendation of a friend's father, who kept it in his basement bar. He was horrified, years later, upon going back to it from better brands, but that may or may not be beside the point.
whiskgeek
Bronze Member

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder