Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Seeking Recomendations

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Seeking Recomendations

Postby RoadRage » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:19 am

I still consider myself new to whisky as I learn more about it all the time. With so many poor bars that have such a limited selection in my area, it's hard to get out and find new drams to try. I live in Texas where nearly every bar is a sports bar.

When I decided to try Scotch, I tried JW Red Label and hated it. Thinking a single malt would be different, I tried Glenlivet 12 and didn't care for it either. I tried the 16 yr Nadurra at a store tasting and loved it. Based on that I purchased the 18 yo due to a great price later on and liked that as well. I find myself going back and forth between these.

With Jameson and Ginger Ale replacing my cocktail of choice of Jack and Coke when out at a bar, I ventured into Irish. A friend of mine gave me hell for drinking Jameson and gave me a bottle of Feckin to try. I then moved on to Bushmills and now Black Bush is my daily evening drink.

I have Redbreast next on my list to try. I also see Knapogue now but have not tried it.

I know I'm all over the place, but would appreciate any suggestions on what direction to take. Price has always been an issue as after my experience with JW Red and Glenlivet 12, I don't want to spend money on something I'm going to dislike.

And if anyone is in the Dallas - Fort Worth area, any good whisky bars would be much appreciated.
RoadRage

Re: Seeking Recomendations

Postby AdamMY » Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:55 pm

Blackbush is a solid dram, and in terms of Irish Whisky's Redbreast is definitely a step up, and something worth trying. I liked Knappogue Castle when I had it though it is a little on the lighter side of things ( though not as light as Glenlivet 12). In terms of the Bushmills Single Malts, the 16 year old is quite a treat, the 10 is so so, and I haven't tried the 21.
AdamMY
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby bredman » Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:10 pm

Some Knappogue Castle bottlings are Bushmills, and some are Cooley.

Redbreast 12 isn't to my tastes (the 15yo is ok though). I do prefer Greenspot, but afaik it's not available in the States. The best Irish SPS currently is easily Powers John's Lane 12.

For Irish blends i'd recommend Kilbeggan (i refer to the NAS as there is also 15 and 18yo versions) for value, but i don't know about availability and price in the US. Jameson Gold Reserve is better, and higher priced.
bredman
Double Gold Member

Postby whiskgeek » Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:46 am

RoadRage wrote:
When I decided to try Scotch, I tried JW Red Label and hated it. Thinking a single malt would be different, I tried Glenlivet 12 and didn't care for it either. I tried the 16 yr Nadurra at a store tasting and loved it. Based on that I purchased the 18 yo due to a great price later on and liked that as well. I find myself going back and forth between these.

Sounds like you've tried only a few. Keep trying them. JW Red is (in my opinion) the best of the cheap stuff. Glenlivet 12 is a step up. 15-year Scotches are where things generally start to get good, but this is (of course) a very broad measure. It varies with individual brands, since Laphroiag and Talisker are great drams at ten years, but you can only learn which ones you like by trying them.

In short (and to repeat), keep trying them.
whiskgeek
Bronze Member

Postby Ganga » Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:23 am

In addtion to looking for bars, you might consider looking for miniatures. I know that you can get several different Irish and Scotch whiskies this way. Off the top of my head Tullamor Dew, Macallan 12, Macalan 18, Glenfiddich 12-15-18. There are more including blends like Chivas. Also, you might be able to get some 200 or 375 ml bottlings that would cost you a little less to explore different whiskies.
Ganga
Matured cask

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder