Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Bourbon

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Bourbon

Postby redrocker » Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:48 am

A newbie to the site/forum.Looks like alot of helpful people here....so my question is can someone suggest to me a good bourbon.I have had a few in my years Jim Beam,Wild Turkey are two I can think of right now.Any help would be greatly appreciated.
redrocker

Re: Bourbon

Postby pkt77242 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:15 am

redrocker wrote:A newbie to the site/forum.Looks like alot of helpful people here....so my question is can someone suggest to me a good bourbon.I have had a few in my years Jim Beam,Wild Turkey are two I can think of right now.Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome Redrocker. Well I have some ideas but it would be helpful to know what country you are in and what the price range is that you would like to stay within. Thanks
pkt77242
Matured cask

Postby redrocker » Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:29 am

pkt77242 wrote:
redrocker wrote:A newbie to the site/forum.Looks like alot of helpful people here....so my question is can someone suggest to me a good bourbon.I have had a few in my years Jim Beam,Wild Turkey are two I can think of right now.Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome Redrocker. Well I have some ideas but it would be helpful to know what country you are in and what the price range is that you would like to stay within. Thanks

Thanks for the welcome.

I am in the United States...Ohio actually.As far as price,I would like to stay under $50.00,but if you can suggest something maybe in the lower ballpark and maybe something mid range that would be great...Thanks for you help.
Cheers!!
redrocker

Postby pkt77242 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:37 am

Here is a list but I am sure that I am missing some whiskies. Also the prices are what I pay here in Arizona.

Elijah Craig 12yo $22
Ridgemont Reserve 1792 $22 (more rye spices)
Eagle Rare 10yo $28
Wild Turkey Rare Breed $32
Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit $45
The Pappy Van Winkle 12yo is $55 and tasty but if you can find the Pappy Van Winkle 15yo for $65 or so it is a steal.

If you have Costco close by and are a member the Kirkland Signature Small Batch Bourbon 1L for $20 is good.

If you are interested in Ryes
High West makes some good ones and the Rendezvous is really good
Sazerac 6yo at $28 is good
Jefferson's 10yo Rye for $28 is also good but different.

If you find some other bottles and want to know our opinions just post them in here and one of us will try to respond. :iwbrnt: :thumbsup:
pkt77242
Matured cask

Postby nash60975 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:46 am

pkt has great suggestions, I just want to add Black Maple Hill to the list. It is a great value for the quality.
nash60975

Postby AdamMY » Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:48 am

I thought Buffalo trace was good, I managed to get a 1 liter bottle for 25 dollars at Costco. While I have not tried a general release, W. L. Weller Special Reserve is worth looking into, should be able to be found for less than 30 dollars. ( Possibly less than 20).
AdamMY
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Ganga » Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:48 am

Ditto.

And we would be just as friendly if you want to go a little more upscale to something like George T Stagg. :thumbsup:
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby Ganga » Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:50 am

nash60975 wrote:pkt has great suggestions, I just want to add Black Maple Hill to the list. It is a great value for the quality.

Black Maple Hill is not a distillery. There is some variation to these and you need to have someone specify the specifics when disgussing it.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby pkt77242 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:52 am

I was also going to add that some people like Four Roses Small batch and Four Roses Single Barrel bourbon but I find them too floral for my taste. If you like some floral notes in your bourbon they could be good options as well.

As Ganga pointed out if you want to go crazy high end
George T Stagg is about as good as any whisky out there but it is $80 here. :smoke:

Edit: I also forgot Evan Williams Single Barrel $25
pkt77242
Matured cask

Postby redrocker » Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:12 am

Wow...thanks to everyone for their suggestions so far...this is fantastic.Looks like I have a nice selction to search out.I may have to get a second job so I can do a fair comparison of each,but what the helll.

Thanks again to everyone who has replied so far.I will let you know what I go with(if anyone cares..lol)
redrocker

Postby pkt77242 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:43 am

redrocker wrote:Wow...thanks to everyone for their suggestions so far...this is fantastic.Looks like I have a nice selction to search out.I may have to get a second job so I can do a fair comparison of each,but what the helll.

Thanks again to everyone who has replied so far.I will let you know what I go with(if anyone cares..lol)

You are welcome. Not only do we want to know what you buy but we would also appreciate tasting notes once you open them. :thumbsup:
pkt77242
Matured cask

Postby Ganga » Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:07 am

Agree with Sean. And really, feel free to ask anymore quesitons. There should also be a live tasting thread on bourbons that might give you some insight as well.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby nash60975 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:01 am

Ganga wrote:
nash60975 wrote:pkt has great suggestions, I just want to add Black Maple Hill to the list. It is a great value for the quality.

Black Maple Hill is not a distillery. There is some variation to these and you need to have someone specify the specifics when disgussing it.

As simply a response to a recommendation for a good bourbon, I have found it to be consistently high quality among bottles I have had, especially for the price point. Regardless of variability, it's definitely a great bottle for someone just getting started in American whiskey. When it comes to independent bottlers in the states, KBD is probably one of the most reliable, and also have access to some of the best stocks.
nash60975

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder