Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Question on dealing with broken cork

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Question on dealing with broken cork

Postby numen » Sat Mar 31, 2012 4:08 am

Hi,

I'm new to the board -- usually a lurking reader, but a broken cork has left me running for advice and registration. I just got a rather old bottle of whisky and attempted to open the bottle, but the top of the cork broke off from the stem. I used the vintage wine cork removal kit and got the rest of the cork out without a problem. My concern/question: what do I do with the bottle now? There's a lot of whisky left in the bottle, and it's good, rare stuff. In the meantime, I've put a plastic wine-stopper on it, but is that a sufficient or appropriate resolution for the long haul, or is there something else that I should do or use?

Thanks,
numen

Re: Question on dealing with broken cork

Postby Ganga » Sat Mar 31, 2012 4:20 am

When I have issues with corks that break, I replace the cork. My friends and I keep a bag of various corks around to fit the different bottles. In addition, I usually keep a couple of empty bottles around that contents can be transferred.

I have no experience with the wine stoppers. I've heard good things about them for short-term but have heard nothing about using them long-term.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby numen » Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:38 pm

Thanks for the advice. I went to a local wine & spirits shop and asked for some advice. I was advised that the bottle stopper was ok, but that glass is better than plastic. The staff member suggested that I use a glass stopper from a wine bottle for long-term storage instead. I'll give that a shot!
numen

Postby Willie JJ » Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:38 pm

I'm not sure I trust that advice. The glass might not make a perfect seal and you could suffer significant evaporation. Stick with your original device, or pop in a replacement cork from another bottle in my opinion.
Willie JJ
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Ganga » Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:30 am

I'm with Willie on the glass stopper. I would think you would get a poor seal. A poor seal will lead to deterioration of the whisky.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby numen » Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:51 pm

Thanks. Would I be better of getting a new bottle of whisky - even if the aromas and flavor profile is different -- and just reappropriating the cork?
numen

Postby Willie JJ » Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:08 pm

I don't think it matters much. Just as long as it forms a seal.
Willie JJ
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Ganga » Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:31 pm

I've never noticed much impact from the other corks. Just rinse the cork off.
Ganga
Matured cask

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder