Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Decision time in World of Whiskies Heathrow

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Decision time in World of Whiskies Heathrow

Postby Jonwin » Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:19 pm

Hi guys,

My friend is flying from London through Heathrow Airport and offered to buy me a Whisky from the recommended "World of Whiskies" Shop.

So I checked on-line to see what's up for sale and I have a few questions, and a request for a recommendation.
First the question- Do they sell rather rare bottles that are not shown on line, and if so, are these bottles worth the high price?

And secondly the recommendation. I narrowed it down to these:

GLENMORANGIE SIGNET
LAGAVULIN 12 YEAR
GLENFARCLAS 105 CASK STRENGTH
GLENFARCLAS 15 YEAR OLD

So first, What am I missing in this dilemma? any altenative to these bottles? and secondly, witch of these would you recommend the most (given that I can't have them all)

Thanks a Lot!
Jon
Jonwin

Re: Decision time in World of Whiskies Heathrow

Postby Fscott » Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:35 pm

Greetings, Jon

When I was at WOW my wife almost had to slap me to calm me down. Their selection is much better than what is shown on online (in my experience). They had knowledgeable staff that steered me towards a Balvenie 17 New Wood that is still one of my all-time favorites. I got if for 44 pounds, which was a great price.

Where are you from? I ask because the bottles you mention are pretty widely available in most parts. Too bad it's your friend going through and not you. Maybe you can give him some general guidelines/price range and let him pick up something special.

Let us know what he brings back.
Fscott

Postby bcrossan » Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:30 am

Laga 12 for me... no contest
bcrossan
Silver Member

Postby corbuso » Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:03 pm

They have a large range of exclusive and very rare whiskies, but good value? not necessarily.

Unless you are from the US and only in transit, these bottles are usually cheaper downtown London.

In terms of recommendations, this depends on your taste, since these whiskies are rather quite different from each other.

corbuso
www.whisky-news.com
corbuso
Gold Member

Postby Jonwin » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:10 pm

Thanks!

I'm from Israel so any time a friend steps out of the middle east I have him bring me back a bottle or two.

It's really hard to specify my taste. I now have a Lagavulin 16, Aberfeldy 12, Jura 16, Caol Ila 18 and a Japanese Malt- Nikka (Black).

All rather good, especially the Lagavulin! So I thought I'd get him to buy me something else. Any further Suggestions would be great.

I put my eye on the Balvenie 15 Year Old Single Barrel. and maybe the GLENFARCLAS 15 YEAR OLD.

How is the Talisker 57?

Thanks again
Jon
Jonwin

Postby whiskgeek » Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:13 pm

Lagavulin is one of my favorites, so Laga 12 is highly recommended. Glenfarclas 105 is also excellent. It's a sherried cask strength, if I recall. Glenmorangie Signet is good but overpriced. I didn't find it special. I haven't even seen Talisker 57° North yet, and it's got great reviews, so that would be my personal first pick. Your mileage may vary.
whiskgeek
Bronze Member

Postby Jonwin » Thu May 03, 2012 11:14 am

Thanks!

I think I will go for the old pulteney 21 years old. It's up for a great price.

It's a bit of a risk since I've never heard of someone who tried it (plus it doesn't appear in any discussions on this forum), but it apparently won a price last year and got remarkable ratings, so how bad can it be... :)

Jon
Jonwin

Postby Blue Note » Fri May 04, 2012 7:13 pm

Haven't tried the OP 21, but it was Jim Murray's Whisky Bible Whisky of the Year for 2012. I'd go for it if the price is right.
Blue Note

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder