Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

laphroaig px cask

All your whisky related questions answered here.

laphroaig px cask

Postby Jonwin » Tue May 01, 2012 3:02 pm

Hi everyone,

Has anybody heard of this new Laphroaig out called the PX. the PX apparently stands for Pedro Sherry cask.
I have a chance to get a bottle of it, it has no age on it so I am wondering if it's Worth it. have you heard about it, or better yet, tried it?

Jon

P.S
Here is a link to it on Laphroaig's Web page
http://www.laphroaig.com/whiskies/laph-px.aspx
Jonwin

Re: laphroaig px cask

Postby Ganga » Tue May 01, 2012 6:55 pm

PX would be Pedrom Ximenez (PX for short) sherry. I have not tried this but I have had a peated BenRiach with a PX finish (2 years worth) and it can be quite complex. If it isn't too costly it would be worth a go.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby bredman » Tue May 01, 2012 7:59 pm

I look forward to trying this one. Currently it's just travel-retail only and replaces the Triple Wood (i never liked the Triple Wood). I'm not sure of the age of this whisky (less than 10 years old apparently) but i know the PX aging was only for the last year. It spent most of it's life in Maker's Mark bourbon with a short 9 month spell in quarter casks before finishing in the Pedros for a year. Peat and PX is a risky balance, may explain the tentative 12 months.
bredman
Double Gold Member

Postby Ganga » Wed May 02, 2012 4:17 am

Replacing the Triplewood? :shock: It just barely got here!

My experience with PX and peat has been positive. Some of the other types of sherry haven't fared as well.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby whiskgeek » Fri May 04, 2012 3:27 am

Lagavulin Distiller's Edition is in Pedro Ximenez, but I don't think there's much (if any) difference between sherries, that you can detect in the whisky. I love peated whiskies with sherry finish - Uigeadail is my favorite whisky, right now. I liked the Triplewood.
whiskgeek
Bronze Member

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder