Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Recommended, available independant bottlings?

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Recommended, available independant bottlings?

Postby jon999 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:09 pm

Hi all.

Has anybody tasted and independant bottlings recently? I'm after something that's available to buy now, that's been sampled by someone. Any recommendation would be great, just to remove some of the risk that comes with indie bottlings.
jon999

Re: Recommended, available independant bottlings?

Postby Ganga » Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:01 pm

Are you looking for particular distilleries, bottlings or just over all reviews of independent bottlers?
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby jon999 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:17 pm

Ganga wrote:Are you looking for particular distilleries, bottlings or just over all reviews of independent bottlers?

All reviews. There isn't much I don't like as long as the quality is there but I've not got much experience with indie bottlers. The ones I've tried are discontinued so any help narrowing my search in today's market would help.
jon999

Postby AdamMY » Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:31 am

This is a very loaded question, and before I go off recommending and warning against a lot of the Indie bottles I have had that might still be available. Where do you live? In extension do you have a problem with whisky being shipped to you? Also are you in a state that allows stores from other states to ship whisky to you?

If you are not in the US, some of those questions are moot. But that might be better because the EU is often much looser with shipping rules, and there are many great shops in the UK. Also Whiskybase Shop is a great place to order from online too.
AdamMY
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby jon999 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:53 am

I'm UK based. Never really had a problem finding whisky or getting it shipped. Theres plenty of indie bottles available, but i just wanted some advise to take some of the guess work out of it.
jon999

Postby John Barleycorn » Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:46 am

Be brave, there are hundreds of expressions by independent bottlers out there and what I might consider a good dram may not be to your liking. One of the best ways, I've found, is to visit a few whisky bars and try something new. So go out there and experiment. :thumbsup:
John Barleycorn
Bronze Member

Postby jon999 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:44 pm

We haven't got the luxury of any decent whisky bars, maybe a glass of bells if your lucky. Just wanted suggestions to some indie bottlings, as the ones I've tried can be hit and miss. Any recommendations/ advise appreciated.
jon999

Postby corbuso » Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:17 pm

As mentioned by a few, recommendations should be based on your preferences.
My recommendation is to consult websites with tasting notes of whiskies to make your own choice, if you cannot taste your whiskies at your retailer.
Alternatively, you can to to whisky fairs to help you to make your choice.
www.whisky-news.com
corbuso
Gold Member

Postby jon999 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:22 pm

Thanks for the advise. Ive got plenty of whisky in the house I like. Just wanted some recommendation of indie bottlers, what other people have tried, enjoyed and are still available.
jon999

Postby John Barleycorn » Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:52 pm

I think you're not making much head way on this thread. As I don't know how much you are willing to spend I suggest something in the Connoisseurs Choice range from Gordon & MacPhail may be a Teaninich 1996, availability is good at present. It's a dram I enjoy but then again I like most of the offerings that come from Teaninich. Hope you find this a little more helpful.
John Barleycorn
Bronze Member

Postby jon999 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:30 pm

I don't think im having much joy on this thread. I've been looking at that range, I'll b sampling one of their range. Thanks
jon999

Postby Ganga » Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:57 pm

I've generally had good experiences with the bottlings from AD Rattray. You might try a bottle they offer from one of your favorite distilleries.

Knowing that you are in the UK helps as well. The Whisky Exchange has their own lineup called Single Malts of Scotland. I have had nothing poor from them.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby Malteriet » Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:19 pm

I've tasted quite a few great ones from Blackadder. They bottle at cask strength and as close to the cask as possible. Therefore there can be some charcoal in the bottle which I find charming. Especially the smokey ones are great.

Duncan Taylor also have interesting bottlings. I'm especially fond of their Rare and Auld and the Rarest of the Rare series. Their Inverleven is a true diamond but hard to find now.

I'm not impressed by Provenance and Coopers Choice, but perhaps I just haven't tasted the right ones yet.
Malteriet

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder