Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Douglas Laing's Old and Rare - Jura

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Douglas Laing's Old and Rare - Jura

Postby stevedigs04 » Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:48 pm

Hello All,

I have floated around a few different Whisky forums... Only to find that many of the people belonging to them don't have many answers and on top of that not are not very active. That being said I am Steve and hopefully I have found a home for all my whisky conversations :)

Which leads me to my question for you all, recently my inlaws visited family in Glasgow and as you can expect ( being from Canada ) I jumped all over the chance to have them pick me up a few bottles. I got:
Macallan 18 (didn't have one in my collection),

the Laphroaig 18 Y/o Diamond Jubilee edition (which I was extremely disappointed that the "limited edition" is just the cylinder it comes in and the actualy bottle does not have any limited edition markings.. which means I essentially paid 10 more pounds for cardboard)

and finally the Douglas Laing Old and Rare Platinum Selection Single cask - Jura distillery. There lies my question I couldn't find much info on that bottle via the internet and obviously I was not there to ask at the whisky shop,

I also did not have alot of time to research and decide which bottles I wanted them to get as it was literally a last min trip. In my collection I have quite a few drinkable whiskies, but was looking to add a more collectible investment type of whisky and because this was a 1/120 bottles filled edition I thought I would give it a chance.

Long story short I dont no much about it other then its from Jura and its 1/120 bottles filled so any info on tasting notes rarity ect would be greatly appreciated, is it worth keeping and potentially re-selling or just drink?

Sorry for the long post but I wanted my first one to be a good one :P

-Steve
stevedigs04

Re: Douglas Laing's Old and Rare - Jura

Postby Ganga » Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:14 pm

The Auld & Rare is usually closed distilleries so I'm not sure why there is a Jura. I'm used to seeing things like Inverleven in that setup. However, it should be noted that this is a single cask and if it develops a reputation as being exquisite prices may indeed go up for that one.

The Laphroaig 18 should have a bottling code either printed on the glass or etched. Anyone that would be collecting this would certainly look to make sure that the bottling code is correct for the Jubilee.

Nice to have you here. :thumbsup:
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby stevedigs04 » Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:57 pm

Hmm interesting thanks for the info!!

I guess to clarify totally ( as the old and rare is supposed to be closed distillery's) what it exactly says on the bottle and little parchment of info is:

"Distilled at Jura Distillery aged 18 years bottled at cask strength"

Limited edition bottle No. 029

Distilled October 1992

This is 1 of 120 bottles filled from a hogshead refill

2011: a March bottling traditionally un-chill filtered.

As far as the Jubilee bottle where would I look for the bottling code? (aka what am i looking for all numbers numbers and letter ect?) so that i can make sure I indeed did not get scammed by the store and have an official 1/3000 bottle?

-Steve
stevedigs04

Postby bredman » Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:53 am

Hi Steve. That Jura is an exclusive to The Whisky Shop. A horrendously overpriced chain of whisky outlets that are often located in areas favourable to selling to tourists. Nothing wrong with that, but £140 for an 18yo Jura is a lot, and i would suggest the 2nd hand market will most likely never attain that level, at least not for a long long long long time. Entry level Juras are not a favourite of mine or many others, in fact they are just odd. However, they do make plenty of good whisky, good Juras are out there and very enjoyable. I would expect that that is the reasoning for this cask's selection to the DL Platinum range, possibly being a fine stand-out cask. I'd wait until you have another Jura or two and then crack it open for a comparison.

The Old & Rare Platinum Selection is the range of bottlings that Douglas Laing offer at cask strength, as opposed to their Old Malt Cask range that is reduced to 50% prior to retail. They are not just closed distilleries either, any distillery can become a part of this line.

http://www.whiskyshop.com/Shop/Jura-18- ... D3118.aspx
bredman
Double Gold Member

Postby Ganga » Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:28 am

Ganga wrote:The Auld & Rare is usually closed distilleries so I'm not sure why there is a Jura. I'm used to seeing things like Inverleven in that setup. However, it should be noted that this is a single cask and if it develops a reputation as being exquisite prices may indeed go up for that one.

:oops: I was thinking of Duncan Taylor as opposed to the Platinum series from DL. Thanks to Breadman for covering DL properly. And as Bredman pointed out, Jura currently is not one of the distilleries that is overly sought out like Ardbeg.
Ganga
Matured cask

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder