Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Glass Decanters?

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Glass Decanters?

Postby stevedigs04 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:44 pm

I have notices on the adverts around the forums and far more obvious (t.v, shops ect) places the addition and marketing of glass decanters for whisky?

So what is everyone opinions on this topic do you decant? does the lack of an air tight seal mean that you are handcuffed to drink this whisky fast as oxidization will happen quickly?

Or are there special (expensive im assuming) glass decanters for whisky that have some sort of plastic seal that keeps them even more air tight then cork and a bottle ?

-Steve
stevedigs04

Re: Glass Decanters?

Postby mikeymad » Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:57 am

stevedigs04 wrote:I have notices on the adverts around the forums and far more obvious (t.v, shops ect) places the addition and marketing of glass decanters for whisky?

Not sure that is a Question.. but Yes...

So what is everyone opinions on this topic do you decant? does the lack of an air tight seal mean that you are handcuffed to drink this whisky fast as oxidization will happen quickly?

I have used a Decanter in the past for whisky - looked pretty (and use them all the time for wine)... and pretty much - yes - once decanted you are on the fast track to drinking it (or pouring it out). Decanting is normal when you have a small bar and you have one or two whiskies that you are drinking. They can last a while (several weeks to a month(s)), but it all depends on how good your seal is (I had one with a silicone ring that did pretty good).

Or are there special (expensive im assuming) glass decanters for whisky that have some sort of plastic seal that keeps them even more air tight then cork and a bottle ?
-Steve

I have not seen one, but google may be able to tell you. But with about 90+ open bottles it would take a lot of money for me to buy a pile of good seal decanters.. :o

Good questions thought... Cheers Steve...

Mikey
mikeymad
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby stevedigs04 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:46 am

I have not seen one, but google may be able to tell you. But with about 90+ open bottles it would take a lot of money for me to buy a pile of good seal decanters.. :o

That kind of ties into my initial thought in one of my other recent posts.. with 90+ open bottles is there a not so permanent (waxing them closed) way to ensure oxidization will not occur?

Or are you just planning on drinking all 90+ within a year or so?

-Steve
stevedigs04

Postby AdamMY » Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:01 am

While Whisky makes no promises, it has been documented where there are bottles that do not hit their prime in terms of taste until well after 6 months if not more of being open. I am not sure which whisky this was, but I swore I've heard about a whisky which tasted best after being open and sipped occasionally for almost 2 years.

Though that being said I not having a large collection tend to have a quicker turn over. In which I think the longest I have ever held onto a bottle is about 10 months. I have had some bottles that only lived 2-3 months that seemed to only have a hot spot of 2 weeks before turning bad. Though whisky is almost always changing, so who is to say if I put them away for two more months if they would have gotten better?
AdamMY

Postby mikeymad » Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:56 am

yep parafilm as mentioned in the other thread..

http://www.ccwine.com.tw/product_info.p ... ts_id=5414

As far as getting better - a lot do - a lot don't. Some Springbanks are better in the second+ year that after first opening, and one of my favs was after 5 years (30yo stubby)...

some go crazy and wrap up all their bottles and move them to smaller and smaller bottles over time, never wanting to loose a drop. I just open enjoy and let the beverage change on its own journey and see where it leads me over time. If the last couple ml's are past their prime, then shame on me for not finishing it sooner. But sometimes you are rewarded by a beverage that really can hit a sweet spot after years of being open.
mikeymad

Postby bredman » Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:23 am

I never decant (unless i'm saving a sample in a sample sized bottle) and generally speaking it's rare that anyone would bother. Some bottlers use heavier styled bottles made with more glass in some of their lines, they market these bottles as decanter or decanter-style bottles.

Personally i think the less air that's in the bottle the better it is for the whisky, when down to the last few drams best to think about finishing it off, too much air can turn smalls amounts into slop if left for too long.

I did read an article on lead crystal decanters tainting high strength spirits with lead, over several years the levels of lead can become shockingly high. Some are bothered about things like that, some aren't.
bredman
Double Gold Member

Postby John Barleycorn » Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:34 pm

bredman wrote:I never decant (unless i'm saving a sample in a sample sized bottle) and generally speaking it's rare that anyone would bother.

I'm with bredman on this one, IMHO decanting is a waste of time. I was given two decanters, as gifts, years ago and I've only used one of them once. They look impressive when full but if you're like me :? and have several bottles open at the same time, then there is the possibility of forgetting what whisky you've put in it.
John Barleycorn
Bronze Member

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder