Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Tasting Night Questions...

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Tasting Night Questions...

Postby DarthBrendo » Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:42 am

Hi All,

I've been slowly building a nice library of Whiskies over he last 12-18 months, buying a new bottle every few weeks, and having a taste with my best mate and dinner over Friday night pizza (homemade) and whatever sport happens to be on tv.

We'd like to hold a proper tasting night, but I'm not sure which of our ollection to use (research I've done suggest no more than 6-7), nor the order of tasting which is from what I've researched is important, and other details. So I was hoping for some advice.

The library currently consists of the following:
Jim Beam White
Jim Beam Small Batch
Jim beam Devils Cut
Dimple 15yrs
Blantons Single Barrel 46.5%
Tobermory 15yrs
Monkey Shoulder Batc 27 Blended Malt Scotch Whisky
Glenmorangie The Quinta Ruban Extra Matured in Port Casks 12 yrs
The Glenlivet Single match 15yrs
Glenfiddich Single Malt 12yrs
Bookers Bourbon 127.9 Proof
The Glenlivet Single Malt The Master Distillers Reserve
Chivas Regal 21yr Royal Salute

I also have a set of 'minis' of Jamesons
12yr Special Reserve
Gold Reserve (doesn't state the age and I've not been able to find out how old it is)
18yr old Limited Reserve.

So what would you recommend from that selection for a tasting involving mostly novices. My mate and I enjoy a good whisky, but I'd still call us novices as we merely know what we do and don't like, rather then know theproper terminology.

I've read that dark chocolate is good for having between whiskies as well, as a palate cleanser, but I've also read that some fruits such as paw paw, rockmelon can be good as they're more refreshing.

I've also read that for proper tastings, stemmed glasses with curved walls, like a Glencairn, is best. Also that it's best to try undistilled, distilled, and then left for a while to allow the whisky to aerate.

Any suggestions recommendations etc would be muchly appreciated.
DarthBrendo

Re: Tasting Night Questions...

Postby whiskgeek » Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:29 am

No food between whiskies. Chocolate is not a palate cleanser. use water (and stay hydrated) or something like those little wine crackers. We always do our tasting, and the break to social time with food, cigars and/or more whisky.

I don't recommend you add water until after you've tasted the whisky without. You won't know the difference, otherwise. Leaving the glass to air isn't really going to do anything, unless you leave it for a long time. Like an hour or more? And even then, not all whiskies will show a difference. This is best left for experimentation on your own
whiskgeek
Bronze Member

Postby Samuel B » Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:13 pm

DarthBrendo wrote:Hi All,

I've been slowly building a nice library of Whiskies over he last 12-18 months, buying a new bottle every few weeks, and having a taste with my best mate and dinner over Friday night pizza (homemade) and whatever sport happens to be on tv.

We'd like to hold a proper tasting night, but I'm not sure which of our ollection to use (research I've done suggest no more than 6-7), nor the order of tasting which is from what I've researched is important, and other details. So I was hoping for some advice.

The library currently consists of the following:
Jim Beam White
Jim Beam Small Batch
Jim beam Devils Cut
Dimple 15yrs
Blantons Single Barrel 46.5%
Tobermory 15yrs
Monkey Shoulder Batc 27 Blended Malt Scotch Whisky
Glenmorangie The Quinta Ruban Extra Matured in Port Casks 12 yrs
The Glenlivet Single match 15yrs
Glenfiddich Single Malt 12yrs
Bookers Bourbon 127.9 Proof
The Glenlivet Single Malt The Master Distillers Reserve
Chivas Regal 21yr Royal Salute

I also have a set of 'minis' of Jamesons
12yr Special Reserve
Gold Reserve (doesn't state the age and I've not been able to find out how old it is)
18yr old Limited Reserve.

So what would you recommend from that selection for a tasting involving mostly novices. My mate and I enjoy a good whisky, but I'd still call us novices as we merely know what we do and don't like, rather then know theproper terminology.

I've read that dark chocolate is good for having between whiskies as well, as a palate cleanser, but I've also read that some fruits such as paw paw, rockmelon can be good as they're more refreshing.

I've also read that for proper tastings, stemmed glasses with curved walls, like a Glencairn, is best. Also that it's best to try undistilled, distilled, and then left for a while to allow the whisky to aerate.

Any suggestions recommendations etc would be muchly appreciated.

Hi DarthBrendo,

You should try to taste several regions of whisky in each session. By doing this you and your mate will identify the diferences between them, and thus develop your taste memories.

Use also a book to write down your senses (color, nose, palate and finish). For the future you can compare those notes with new ones for the same whiskies. You will be surprise with the outcomes.

Regards,
Samuel B
Samuel B

Postby whiskynig » Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:28 pm

I agree with he other 2 posts, but I would stick to a maximum of 5, and use oatcakes for the palate cleanser, and still bottled water for adding.
Making notes is a great idea, but dont be concerned if you cannot describe or recognise a flavour-your mates will also have a different take on these, why not try and get the official tasting notes for each whisky as a comparison.
Make sure you start with the ones you enjoy, but if you develop these sessions further, dont be afraid to experiment with the odd new bottling here and there.
Good luck.
And remember to enjoy yourselves.
whiskynig
Bronze Member

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder