Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Objective Whisky Analysis

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Objective Whisky Analysis

Postby mksb_profile » Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:02 pm

Hi All,

Wanting to add to my still limited collection of whiskies (and having financial constraints) I conducted a little analysis of the Malt Maniac & LA Whiskey Soc tastings databases to identify the Best Low-Cost Whisky Available.

This is by no means a sophisticated and holistic analysis but I thought I'd be a shame if I just kept it to myself.

Not quite sure how to upload it (it's in pdf format), I've put it here:

http://rapidshare.com/files/3504190867/Whisky_Ratings_Analysis.pdf

Comments/suggestions welcome...
mksb_profile

Re: Objective Whisky Analysis

Postby corbuso » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:59 am

You work is interested and methodology seems adequate with respect to the scoring. However, I have more a problem with the pricing methodology.
Scores are based on several reviewers, while price is determined by a single record (shop), therefore any change in pricing would have a dramatic effect on your list.
For example, I have seen that the price for the Glen Garioch 15 YO is about £69, therefore this whisky performs poorly on your analysis. The Glen Garioch has been phase out a couple of years ago and TWE has a "very collectible" approach regarding pricing: When a whisky is phasing out, prices are significantly increased. In other shops, you can still find for about £30.
My recommendation is to take out of phase out whiskies from your list and to change the cut off from 2008 to 2010. Furthermore, you should indicate in your top list, which whiskies were on a special price. For low prices whiskies, a change of £3-5 can have a strong influence on the rating.
My recommendation is to average the prices from additional shops (e.g., adding prices from Royal Mail Whiskies, the Whisky Shop, Master of Malts, Loch Fyne Whiskies, etc)

lAlso please make sure that this conclusion is based on UK pricing.
For instance, the Ardmore Traditional Cask is selling for around £33 in UK but 25 euros (£20) in continental Europe. In this case, the Ardmore would probably be in a good position in your top 25 list.

Finally, based on my personal appreciation, the final results correspond well to my own good value list.

Corbuso
http://www.whisky-news.com
corbuso
Gold Member

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder