Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Glenrothes 1979 (sold in US)

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Glenrothes 1979 (sold in US)

Postby prestonstell » Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:05 am

I was really hoping for some help on a possible big purchase I may have. The scotch I am considering purchasing is one that was cask filled in 1979 and bottled in 2005. I know that there is a UK one as well, and this in not it (as I am in Michigan). It is 57.0%. I am assuming you know what I am talking about. The bottle I am looking at is 270 of 519, but it is very expensive ($960.12). The price is not as much of the concern, but rather how good the scotch is. At one website I read this quote which is attributed to Jim Murray's Whisky Bibel 5th Edition, "Wrecked by sulphur. In Whisky terms, tragic. 57%." That certainly frightened me concerning the bottle.

Sorry for the long introduction, but I think that a thousand dollar bottle is worth a paragraph at least! What are your thoughts on this whisky? I would appreciate it a ton, my knowledgeable friends. I am your disciple. :)
prestonstell

Re: Glenrothes 1979 (sold in US)

Postby agoldf » Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:24 pm

There are a bunch of write ups on the whisky, many very positive but I think it got panned as far as most reviews go.
agoldf

Re: Glenrothes 1979 (sold in US)

Postby Whiskybembel » Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:46 pm

Build your own opinion..
From the 1979 Single Casks came 4 different out. (13458, 3808,13466, 13470)
My favorite is Cask 13466

If we are talking about this bottling?
Single Cask 13458
distilled 1979
bottled 2005
519 Bottles only for USA
57%

The meanings for this Single Cask are diffrent. Example Malt Advocate wrote:

A single cask bottling of The Glenrothes aged in a first fill sherry cask. Only 519 bottles, all destined for the US. It is the richest, chewiest, sweetest, and fruitiest of all the Glenrothes whiskies reviewed here. Deep mahogany color, with notes of toffee apples, waxed fruit, burnt orange, prunes in syrup, and dark chocolate. The intensity of the sherry and length of oak aging gives the whisky a flavourprofile that begins to transcend traditionial whisky flavours, expressing notes of port wine, pot still rum, and rancio
Glenrothes Notes:

Apperance: deep mahogany
Bouquet: vanilla, dried fruit and oak
Palate: rich ripe fruit flavour, plums and candy apples
Finish: very long sweet citrus finish

Jim Murray wrote a lot of sillly things in the bible and don't trust written words, trust your own.
Best regards
Stefan
Whiskybembel

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder