Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Redbreast from 1981

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Redbreast from 1981

Postby KMKritzinger » Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:03 am

In 1981 (despite being in the Apartheid years) the Irish rugby team toured South Africa. One of their members brought my friend Liam Hickey (an expatriate Irishman then living in Cape Town) a bottle of a whiskey called "Redbreast", which he kindly gave to me. I tried drinking it, but thought it tasted awful. Then I tried making Irish coffee with it. I had previously used Jameson (at that stage the best), Bushmills and Tullamore Dew for that purpose. Redbreast left them all miles behind. It was truly unbelievably good. For years after that I searched for another bottle but was never able to find one. In recent years I came across a Redbreast 12yo, but while it was a great drinking whiskey, sadly it bore no resemblance to the original as the most outstanding base for Irish coffee. Does anyone know what I am talking about, and whether there is a currently available similar product?
KMKritzinger

Re: Redbreast from 1981

Postby Ganga » Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:15 am

you may never find something similar. Processes change through the years. Red Breast is a Pure Pot Still Irish whiskey. Options that I know about for PPS are Red Breast 12, 12 cask strength, 15 and Greenspot 8 and 15. You might try some alternates to see if something comes close.
Ganga
Matured cask

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder