Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

wooden barrels whisky barrel

All your whisky related questions answered here.

wooden barrels whisky barrel

Postby marcin8110 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:14 pm

The name whiskey originally means "aqua vitae" that is "water of life" and seems to be one of the most well-known alcoholic beverages around the world. It is made from fermented grain mash, however there are various types of this drink which can have slightly different flavour. The types include for example English, American or German whiskey.
It must be highlighted that whiskey's amazing flavour is gained thanks to keeping it in special whiskey barrels. Hence, for example, Irish whiskey, is previously kept in barrels used for the production of other alcoholic beverages, to be precise sherry or porto - which gives them special character. When it comes to another type of whiskey called Single Malt Whiskey, an important element of the process of its production is the time it has to spend in oak barrels which were also previously used for sherry, porto or burbon storage.
In other words, it must be stated that appropriate barrels play a crucial role in the production of this amazing drink and their role should not be neglected, otherwise we may end up having a different flavour of whiskey than we have expected. Therefore, it is highly recommended to invest in good products for storing this "water of life".
There is a number of manufacturers of whiskey barrels in the market, however, the one that is especially recommended may be found here: http://woodenbarrel.co.uk The company produces not only barrels but also churns or mugs. In general, they deal with the whole array of products from the field of cooperage.
What seems to be crucial is the fact that all the products are hand-made and the company avoids any chemical substances or adhesives to guarantee the highest possible quality and flavour of the substances kept inside their barrels.
Moreover, all the barrels manufactured by them are certified by the institute of public health. Some of the products manufactured by the company include oak barrels with wooden handle or glasses, oak mugs or brass taps. In order to familiarize yourself with the whole offer of the manufacturer, we highly suggest visiting their Internet website.
marcin8110

15 litres Oak Barrel

Postby mark8110 » Sat Jun 14, 2014 5:30 pm

How long would you suggest aging whiskey in a 15 litres oak barrel? does anyone know can you age it to long? I know the barrel the faster it will pick up the oaking but I thought I would like to leave it for at least a year. I need some other opinions.
I bought 15 liters oak barrel to shop
http://woodenbarrel.co.uk/oak-barrels-1 ... c-1_3.html

Thanks
mark8110

Re: wooden barrels whisky barrel

Postby bredman » Sun Jun 15, 2014 5:53 pm

Better than the usual spammers at least.
bredman
Double Gold Member

Re: wooden barrels whisky barrel

Postby Muskrat Portage » Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:45 am

Bredman:
I was kind of thinking that myself when I read the post. I wonder if we'll see any posts of value or interest to the rest of us?

Musky
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder