Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Recommendation of whiskey according to tastes

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Recommendation of whiskey according to tastes

Postby cinci-hal » Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:15 pm

I am having trouble finding a whiskey that I like and am looking for some recommendations. I know there is some whiskey out there that I enjoy because I had some (a little too much actually) on a camping trip once, but I don’t know what it was. After describing my tastes to a sales clerk at a reputable store, I purchased a few whiskeys that ended up not tasting good to me: Highland Park 12 y.o. single malt scotch; Elmer T. Glee single barrel sour mash Kentucky straight bourbon; and Eagle Rare single barrel Kentucky straight bourbon. I’m thinking maybe I just need to grow into them. In the meantime I would like some recommendations on good starter whiskeys according to my current tastes. As far as spirits go, I am normally a cognac drinker. Flavors that appeal to me: some sweetness, ripe apple and pear, nutty, nutmeg, vanilla, brown sugar, maple, smooth not sharp or stinging. Not sure you can find all these in whiskey, but I thought it might help to see what my tastes are. Don’t know if this will help, but my wine tastes are Riesling, merlot and cabernet. My beer tastes are dark but not too hoppy – I like something like Mount Carmel Nut Brown Ale, but most IPAs are too bitter to me.
cinci-hal

Re: Recommendation of whiskey according to tastes

Postby The Third Dram » Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:28 pm

cinci-hal wrote:In the meantime I would like some recommendations on good starter whiskeys according to my current tastes. As far as spirits go, I am normally a cognac drinker. Flavors that appeal to me: some sweetness, ripe apple and pear, nutty, nutmeg, vanilla, brown sugar, maple, smooth not sharp or stinging.

I'll simply toss a few suggestions out there, as I'm sure others will also chime in with worthy recommendations.

Glenmorangie Original: Balanced, subtle fruitiness with nice touches of nutmeg and ginger. Goes down easily. An everyday sort of whisky.

Maker's 46: The (to my taste, at any rate) Cognac-like persona of Maker's Mark taken to a different level with added maple richness and smoothness.

Glenlivet Nàdurra Cask Strength: The inherently delicate and fruity nature of Glenlivet intensified by sourcing the whisky from first-fill ex-Bourbon casks (not to mention the higher proof contributing greater apparent sweetness). Great value, too.

Booker's Bourbon: An absolute monster as it pours. But add water cautiously, and it transforms into a raisin and spice cocktail of considerable allure.

Glenfiddich 18 Year Old: Spiced honey pots. Lovely stuff.

Glenlivet 21 Year Old Archive: Dessert whisky!

As for ex-Sherry cask matured Scotch malt whiskies, you may need to exercise some care in selection, as the tannic extraction from European oak (where it is utilized) can add a bit of bite to the tail end of the flavour spectrum. That said, you say you like Cognac. So this may not be of great concern to you.
The Third Dram
Triple Gold Member

Postby dramtastic » Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:45 am

Yamazaki 12 - current batch is the best I've tasted
Hakushu 12 - Great easy drinker still with plenty character.

You should find both of these smooth and refined with some of the other characteristics you enjoy.

You'll get plenty of recommendations on Scottish Whisky from others here.
dramtastic
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Ganga » Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:52 am

Very good recommendations Dram!

For some introductory sherry drams, I'd suggest Macallan 12 (or 10 depending on your market) and Glenfarclas 10 or 12.

Another possibility is to go with an Arran finished in ex cognac casks.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby The Third Dram » Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:44 am

Speaking of finishing in Cognac casks, how about a very fine Canadian whisky? Crown Royal Cask No. 16 certainly has the non-abrasive style and quality to make it worthy of consideration.

And I totally forgot to mention An Cnoc 12 Year Old, which has to be one of the fruitiest and most approachable malt Scotches out there.
The Third Dram
Triple Gold Member

Postby cinci-hal » Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:34 pm

Thank you all for the recommendations. Hopefully Santa will be nice and put some of these in my stocking. I will let you all know the outcome ... eventually.
cinci-hal

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder