Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Whisky Barrel UK

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Whisky Barrel UK

Postby tylergallant7 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:14 am

Has anyone from Canada ordered any whisky from the whisky barrel in the UK? They said they ship to Canada and the US although it wouldn't be guaranteed. Trying to get some bottles that I possibly can't get in Canada. Thanks
tylergallant7

Re: Whisky Barrel UK

Postby Ganga » Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:42 am

If you do order, could you let us know your success? In part, I'm in the US but I also have several whisky nut friends in the Great White North.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby bredman » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:40 am

tylergallant7 wrote:Has anyone from Canada ordered any whisky from the whisky barrel in the UK? They said they ship to Canada and the US although it wouldn't be guaranteed. Trying to get some bottles that I possibly can't get in Canada. Thanks

Wont you have to pay full taxes/duties etc.? It may not matter anyway as changes are afoot. Any one in the US wanting to make a UK order best hit the websites and phones asap. And i mean ASAP.

http://www.whiskyintelligence.com/2013/ ... isky-news/
bredman
Double Gold Member

Postby tylergallant7 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:56 am

Wow this isn't looking good for any future orders especially if it will effect most companies. Thanks for posting the article .
tylergallant7

Postby bredman » Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:53 am

As the enforcement date is the 14th and it will take 2-3 days to process an order i'd say this is about it.

tylergallant7 wrote:it will effect most companies.

It will effect all UK companies.

Odd that only the US is specified as the CAA is quoted, so it seems that only the UK to US traffic is affected thus far. No one seems to know how long it will take to sort out.
bredman
Double Gold Member

Postby Muskrat Portage » Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:51 am

Ganga wrote:If you do order, could you let us know your success? In part, I'm in the US but I also have several whisky nut friends in the Great White North.

Hey! I'm just a whisky friend, not a nut! You must mean the western Canadian bunch. It will be interesting to see what Revenue Canada does in this.

Musky
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby Ganga » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:02 am

Muskrat Portage wrote:
Ganga wrote:If you do order, could you let us know your success? In part, I'm in the US but I also have several whisky nut friends in the Great White North.

Hey! I'm just a whisky friend, not a nut! You must mean the western Canadian bunch. It will be interesting to see what Revenue Canada does in this.

Musky

Nope, Ontario...but further east. Davin is my friend and the author of the book on Canadian whiskies.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby whiskgeek » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:23 am

What the...

No alcohol content over 24% on non-freight aircraft flying out of the UK (just to the US?).

So no more duty free sales on flights out of the UK?

This doesn't make sense at all. How long do you think it will take for this to settle down and we figure out just what the regs are?

:?
whiskgeek
Bronze Member

Postby bredman » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:58 am

Just an update. It's Royal Mail and the CAA that decided all alcohol at 24% or above is now dangerous goods. I see TWE have resumed but with a big jump in shipping costs due to currier/freight.
bredman
Double Gold Member

Postby John Barleycorn » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:38 pm

It’s going to be interesting to see if the CAA will allow you to take on board whisky or any alcohol for that matter over 24% abv from the duty free shop and what about the sale of alcohol in flight, I wonder how they’re going to get their heads round that one. :?
John Barleycorn
Bronze Member

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder