Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Dickel (broken cork)

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Dickel (broken cork)

Postby frederick III » Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:30 am

Hello....I had just recently been given an old bottle of Dickel whisky for christmas (I think it says 1976 on it). My grandparents had it stored away for some time and thought that I'd appreciate it, considering I've been trying to get into whisky. In opening the bottle and taking out the cork...the cork was so saturated and wet that it just fell apart. I don't think the whisky is bad because it taste pretty damn good. My question is.....is there any other way to store my whisky without using a cork? Is there a substitute I could use for a cork? Also, is Dickel a good brand of whisky?? Again, I'm just getting into it and my pallet is a little immature :)

If anyone had any input, that'll be great!

Thank you.
frederick III

Re: Dickel (broken cork)

Postby Ganga » Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:07 am

Personally, I keep extra corks to replace those that go bad. :thumbsup: You could also look into a rubber stopper that are sometimes used for wine bottles although I am not sure about how they work long-term.

Dickel isn't a bad whisky. Recognize that it is Tennessee whisky and will have influence from the charcoal filtration.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby Muskrat Portage » Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:52 pm

Hey Ganga! Your advice to Frederick is spot on. We have the pressure type stoppers that have a latch on top that expands to fill the space of the damaged cork. They are sold at the local LCBO's up here in the Wastelands of the North. I've used a couple now for a couple of years, to replace corks that had dried out and disintegrated. No discernable damage to the whisky contents.

Musky
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby frederick III » Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:49 am

Thanks guys! I really appreciate it.....lots of help :)
frederick III

Postby frederick III » Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:54 am

I've been using plastic wrap with a rubber band for now because the mouth of this whisky jug is big and the regular rubber wine stopper is too thin. I'll probably be done with the whisky before it even starts to go bad anyway :o

Again, thanks to both of you..
frederick III

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder