Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Dad just gave me 2 old bottles of Inver House Green Plaid

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Dad just gave me 2 old bottles of Inver House Green Plaid

Postby innate123 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:33 am

Hi All:

New here and apologize if this is in the wrong area to post. My father just gave me 2 bottles of "Rare" that he said he "thinks" are 50 years old. Just curious how I could identify the age of these bottles of scotch. It is bottled by Inver House in Lake Success, NY. On the bottom of the bottle there are numbers
85 69
24a

That is the best I can do in describing it. Although unopened, one bottle appears to have more volume than the other.

If they are not worth much, I would like to drink them. However, I am not such a big drinker or discriminating drinker to drink them if they are worth some money.

Thanks much,

Tim
innate123

Re: Dad just gave me 2 old bottles of Inver House Green Plai

Postby innate123 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:13 am

Any help on this all? Otherwise, I would like to crack open one of the bottles and give it a taste if many of you feel they aren't of much value.

Any input or opinion at all would be appreciated,

Thanks again,

Tim
innate123

Postby Ganga » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:04 am

they might be worth a little but most blends don't carry a big premium. I'd say open and enjoy.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby innate123 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:15 pm

Thanks Ganga I appreciate the reply. Any more suggestions before Saturday :D would be again greatly appreciated. I may crack the one with "less volume" on Saturday.

T
innate123

Postby John Barleycorn » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:21 pm

Being a blended whisky there is not a great deal of demand amongst collectors. I would estimate the value of your two bottles to be in the region of 12-15GBP or 20-25USD each, open them and enjoy.

Although they may have been purchased 50 years ago the whisky in the bottle doesn’t mature with age and is only as old as the youngest whisky in the blend at the time of bottling.

Cheers John
John Barleycorn
Bronze Member

Postby Ganga » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:02 pm

As John states the whisky isn't older but it is from a bygone era. You might find it interesting to try these against your regular fare.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby innate123 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:52 am

Thanks again. Not being a scotch drinker, I did open one up and tried it this week. I was disappointed to hear that whiskey doesn't age. I thought it was a bit harsh as compared to what I was hoping it to be. Perhaps I will have to develop a taste for it. I had to cut it with a ice cube and it was easier to drink as the ice cube melted.

Thanks,

Tim
innate123

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder