Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Advice on my next purchase, under 50€

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Advice on my next purchase, under 50€

Postby burak.82 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:36 pm

Hi all,

I purchased my 1st single malt, talisker 10 yrs old, yesterday and i really like its long lasting taste. It was an old bottling and i bought it for 25€, should i buy 1 or 2 bottles as an investment? Or its just a daily dram not more than that?

So the real question is, what should i taste next? I have my eyes on the following:

Highland Park 12 yrs old
Caol Ila 12 yrs old
Glen Garioch 12 yrs old

any suggestions or opinions on the above?

cheers

burak
burak.82

Re: Advice on my next purchase, under 50€

Postby Ganga » Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:10 pm

The 10 yo will take a while to appreciate very much. The investment would be for your future enjoyment. :thumbsup:

It really depends upon your palate. What do you like?

HP 12 is heathery (sometimes leathery) with some whispy smoke and stewed oranges.

Caol Ila 12 will be much stronger than the Talisker 10. Think iodine (seaweed) and a good bit of peat and peat smoke. Also, will feel oily.

It's been a long time since I've had Glen Garioch 8, 10, 12, 15.... The younger 2 were very one dimensional and for me, not very pleasant. 15 was the best of the group. Recollections are that these are much lighter with a little bit of cinnamon, some fresh wood notes, and grasses.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby dramtastic » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:36 pm

No real investment value in Talisker 10 I would think. If you are looking for the one closest to the Talisker it would be the Caol Ila. I don't necessarily agree with Ganga that it would be a lot stronger than the Talisker, for me that would be the likes of Ardbeg or Laphroaig.
dramtastic
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Leorin » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:42 pm

Well, 25 Euros for a Talisker 10 is quite a bargain. Where do you life? 8)
The other three malts you mentioned are all good. If you like strong flavours and are not afraid of smoke, go for the Caol Ila. The HP is a little less smokey and more on heather and honey but also very tasty. The Garioch offers a lighter and cleaner taste. Its malty and not smoky at all.
As all three are good whiskys and you should maybe try them all if they are not much more expensive than the Talisker.
Leorin
Bronze Member

Postby Wee Robbie » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:04 pm

Caol Ila is my favorite dram in that range (but much more expensive in Canada) and much closer to the Talisker, think smokey peat. The HP 12 is another of my favorites. But much milder and just a touch of smoke, but very smooth and enjoyable. You can't go wrong with either. Don't think you are going to buy Tali 10 any cheaper than where you live by the sounds of it
Wee Robbie
Wee Robbie

Postby burak.82 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:48 pm

thanks for the suggestions, i like the smokey and long lasting taste. I will go with Coal Ila this time, or if i get my bonus, i will have HP and Coal Ila at the same time :) :P
burak.82

Postby The Third Dram » Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:34 pm

burak.82 wrote:Glen Garioch 12 yrs old

If this is the newer (not chill filtered and bottled at 48%ABV) version, I'd recommend you not 'slash' it off your shopping list.

Yes, it is a Highlander with little or no smoke evident. However, it's also a very clean distillate with just the right balance between malt sweetness and oak input. I feel this may be one whisky you'll find yourself going back to again and again despite its not possessing that 'island oomph'.
The Third Dram
Triple Gold Member

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder