Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Clueless Bride looking for a good Scotch for her man

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Clueless Bride looking for a good Scotch for her man

Postby whiskybride » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:23 pm

Hello!
I'm here... because I know nothing whatsoever about single malt scotch and I'd love to soak up some insight.

:dead:

I'm soon to marry a wonderful young single malt scotch type of guy. He loves Speysides, and his favorite is a Strathisla 12. He doesnt like his scotch too peaty and he's definitely got a sweet tooth... so this is EVERYTHING I've managed to find out subtly for my own purposes. I'm looking for a scotch to surprise him with that will melt his heart, my price range is up to about $150. I was curious about a Strathisla 25, so anybody feel its worth the price or likely to be up his alley?
whiskybride

whiskybride

Re: Clueless Bride looking for a good Scotch for her man

Postby The Third Dram » Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:45 am

whiskybride wrote:...He doesnt like his scotch too peaty and he's definitely got a sweet tooth...

Welcome!

For some reason, Glenlivet 21 Year Old Archive immediately springs to mind. Or perhaps Glenmorangie Sonnalta PX (if you can find any) or BenRiach 15 Year Old Pedro Ximenez Wood Finish?

Some of the older Bladnochs can also be astounding in terms of their citrus-laced sweetness.
The Third Dram
Triple Gold Member

Postby whiskgeek » Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:42 am

I'm not familiar with Strathisla. Can you get Macallan 18-year for your price range? Sweet - lots of sherry - and very complex. Personally, I think it's a little overpriced, but that only makes it perfect for a gift. :D And it's still fantastic.

I would also recommend just about any Springbank. They have quite a few that are sherry or other wine maturations, and though Springbanks are generally a little expensive, you should find many to choose from in your price range.
whiskgeek
Bronze Member

Postby Ganga » Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:14 pm

I will presume to speak for some others but we'd love to see what you decide to get your other half. :D

Besides Macallan 18, you might consider a Glenfarclas bottle. You should be able to get a 17, 21 or 25 in that price range or at least very close to it. If less on the sherry side, possible Pulteney 17 or 21.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby scotch_noob » Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:50 pm

Macallan 18, around $170.
scotch_noob

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder