Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Lark whisky from Tasmania?

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Lark whisky from Tasmania?

Postby gimmeadram » Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:22 am

Hi, total newbie here! A friend of mine will buy a bottle of Lark whisky for me when he goes to Australia. They have 3 different official bottlings on their website, the cask strength, single cask, and the distiller's selection. Anyone got any opinion which one to get? Are they any good because they seemed overpriced. Are the tasting profile similar to any other single malts out there? Thx.
gimmeadram

Re: Lark whisky from Tasmania?

Postby bredman » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:01 am

Welcome to the forum. If you're located in the UK then both The Whisky Exchange and RMW both have the two single casks listed on Lark's website - at very similar prices.

But yes they are on the pricey side, i hear it's boom time in Oz and they're all sat on piles of cash and nothing is cheap anymore LoL. Maybe that's the reason. I can't say much about the quality of the whisky, i have been told Lark isn't great, but they are winning awards and fans. Dramtastic has tried them and may look in and advise on which is the better buy.

:D
bredman
Double Gold Member

Postby Ganga » Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:25 am

Dramtastic is a good source of information on whisky. Go with his recommendation if he gives one.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby dramtastic » Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:42 am

Thanks for the props but no help at all. I've only tried Hellyers Road and Nant Distilleries and I wouldn't go out of my way for either especially at the prices they charge. I could get all 3 versions of Nikka NAS Pure malts plus delivery charges from Japan for the same price or less as one of those. Do the math.

http://www.thejapanesewhiskyreview.com/
dramtastic
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby bredman » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:42 pm

As unlikely at is may sound, i seem to have mixed up someone else and Dramtastic.

:lol:
bredman
Double Gold Member

Postby gimmeadram » Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:29 am

Thanks guys.. I'm not really sure about Lark whisky myself, but I don't think I can pass on free bottle of whisky, wherever it's from.. Anyway, dramtastic, just so you know, i read many of your stuff online before I went to Japan recently and was hoping to find some of your favorites.. really no such luck. I noticed that even places like Hasegawa and Shinanoya in Tokyo don't really carry too many different bottles of Japanese whisky.. just the common stuff. My trip to Nikka distillery on the other hand... :thumbsup:
gimmeadram

Postby Ganga » Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:24 am

If you can, please provide a review of what you get.... :thumbsup:
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby dramtastic » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:08 am

gimmeadram wrote:Thanks guys.. I'm not really sure about Lark whisky myself, but I don't think I can pass on free bottle of whisky, wherever it's from.. Anyway, dramtastic, just so you know, i read many of your stuff online before I went to Japan recently and was hoping to find some of your favorites.. really no such luck. I noticed that even places like Hasegawa and Shinanoya in Tokyo don't really carry too many different bottles of Japanese whisky.. just the common stuff. My trip to Nikka distillery on the other hand... :thumbsup:

Ask bredman,
scoring bottles from Japan can be a lottery even at places like Hasegawa because the single cask stuff sells so quickly it's right place right time only. I personally have bought many nice bottles from Hasegawa but I built a relationship with those guys so can often get a heads up. Shinanoya, again, depends what branch you go to at any one time. Their regulars know what's coming and pre order. Glad you still managed to get some good Nikka stuff anyway. I'll be back in Japan next month and report if I find any other worthwhile retailers.
And yes, if the Lark bottle is free who cares, all good :thumbsup:

http://www.thejapanesewhiskyreview.com/
dramtastic
Cask Strength Gold Member

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder